• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel tank in a 1028/1031???

MARCO1031

Has anyone ever installed a fuel tank from an M1009/K5 on an 1028/1031 or an M1008 for that matter? I would really like the extra 30+ gallons of fuel capacity when the zombie apocalypse happens.:grd:

Crash_AF

Anything's possible with enough ingenuity and determination... LOL

I have been told that the 1992 Chevy 3500 Cab and Chassis rear tank will bolt right in, but I have no first hand experience of said modification.

Later,
Joe

MARCO1031

Thanks for the info guys. I think its time to start looking for a good tank. Craigslist here I come:) Oh hey anyone here in FL have a tank that would work...with mounting brackets?

Last edited:

kapnklug

I've tried a similar modifiaction, putting a 79 blazer tank into a 79 longbed pickup (both gassers, but should be similar). It worked but it was a real PITA. Since the framerails of the pickup are about 4" narrower at the rear than the blazer, the seam of the tank actually goes inside the frame channel. Also, the curve of the pickup frame over the rear wheels means that the blazer tank doesn't sit completely level, and of course you'll need the filler neck from the blazer tank to reach the side of the truck and you'll need to fabricate a new bump-out for the filler neck in the side of the bed. You'll also need to fabricate new front and rear crossmembers to conform to the blazer tank, since it straps in front to back. I finally got it all to work, but I wish I hadn't started.

MARCO1031

kapnklug thanks for the info. I am looking at putting this in my M1031 with the SECM body on it so I will have to fab the filler in somehow. I guess the most important thing to know was if it even fit. Now that I know it will it is a matter of getting all of the pieces and putting it together. Thanks again.

fitz

My 81 longbed stepside has a 40 gallon Suburban tank in it (I haven't done it yet to my M1028 but I'm thinking about it) I hate to post pics of a non CUCV on this site but I'm just trying to show how it's done.
The link to the Captkaos site has some great info on this subject.
Basicly you have to fabricate some crossmembers on the frame to bolt the gas tank straps to then bolt it all together. The tough part is routing the exhaust around the tank and setting up the gas filler tube.
My exhaust exits before the tires and the toolbox in the bed hides the gas cap. It's not a mod for everyone because there are a few drawbacks but my SB 400 with TPI can sure use the extra gas capacity.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks