• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Fuel Tank / Sending Unit replacement

DavidJBlythe

All,

I just removed the fuel tank today. It was quite a job, and it required more than just removing the straps. I had to take out the cross member that supports the pintle hitch to allow the skid plate to drop down. It took lots of time and I ended up breaking a lot of rusted bolts. Everything is original 1985 stuff so the hoses to the sending unit had to be cut.

Tip: The four hoses will support an empty tank. Once you remove the straps you can lower the driver's side of the tank to easily get to the hoses to remove or cut them. Make sure to unbolt the filler from the plate. Once the four hoses are off, the tank slides out easily.

I'm having to replace the tank due to three small pin holes that I discovered. I'll post more pictures as the project progresses.

Attachments

AceHigh

Rod, don't fool around with a used one, they are available at auto parts places for maybe $150. You can get the high capacity one for the 1009 and get more miles per fill.

ETA: Get new straps too!

DavidJBlythe

Yeah they are only around 90 bucks from RockAuto. After all the work I went through taking this thing out, I don't want to take a chance on a used tank. It is a GREAT time to upgrade to the 31-gal version if you want.

Cleptomaniac

Yes I did this to my 09 also. I took the back bumper off and sand blasted and painted it while I was their. Made things much easier! Also upgraded to the 31 gallon tank. Changed out everything all the way to the IP. On more worries there!
Good luck

DavidJBlythe

I got the replacement tank straps in from Rock Auto, and was a little disappointed. I didn't mind buying the Spectra brand stuff because it is all made somewhat locally (Canada, at least not China). Well, I guess Spectra is outsourcing now, too... this is what I was billed for and what was delivered:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks