• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fueling problems

CROM

Not sure if this is nomal, but I have been having a lot of trouble fueling up. I understand that diesel fuel is foamy, but I am spending 15-20 minutes at the pump every time I put gas in it. Is there anything I can do to ease the foam?

Also, I have a slow seeping transmission fluid leak that I think is comming from the seal between the transfer case and the transmission. Anyone else deal with this problem before?

Oh, got new tires today, too. I'll post pics tonight.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CROM,
I can fill my tank from empty in about three minutes, tops.

So you are having some kind of issue. And I use it at the lowest level the pump fill nozzle setting I can.

Was your truck a GL purchase or from a private individual?

Oh, and WHAT CUCV are we discussing.

CROM

I purchased it from a dealer, who purchased it from the local guard base. It is a 1986 M1009. The problem is that the tank fills with foam immediately when I begin to fuel. I keep the nozzle on the lowest setting, but foam still burps out. It's almost as if the tank is not vented...? or maybe the vent is clogged...?

Midnight Rider

Not sure about the foaming problem. I've noticed mine will foam up a bit when it is just about full. I usually have the pump handle on the second to lowest setting. Plus, I keep the handle down somewhat so I can look in as I fill up. I don't trust the pump to shut off automatically anymore. I had one spill gas all over the place at a Casey's. I went in to tell them and they said they knew about it already. But because they're a bunch of lazy bums, they didn't go out and put a note on the pump saying that it would do that.

As for the transmission leak, just do a search on that. I know it has been covered because I thought I had the same problem come up. Mine ended up just being a loose transmission pan.

kapnklug

There's a vent hose that runs from the top of the tank, parallel to the filler neck, up to just inside the fill cap. It lets air out as diesel goes in the filler neck. I bet it's kinked.

CROM

I just looked at the vent tube. It looks like it has been cut and a section replaced...I'm at work right now, but will pull it all out and check it when I get home. Thanks for the responses!

MogDog

My M1009 does exactly the same thing

The fuel vent hose looks to small. The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner, the old pump had four outlets and the one that is in there now has only three. Any one have any ideas on that? Also what size hose and or tube is required for for the vent. Thanks

MogDog

Disregard my last

I was trying to say "sending unit" but for some reason I "fuel pump" was what I typed. The old sending unit had four outlets and the new one has only three. The fuel vent hose was not hooked up, it just came out of the tank and had a bolt stuck in it.

salt6

Looks like the four lines are

1. Fuel line feed

2. Fuel line return

3. Fuel line drain

4. Fuel line vent.

Might need to replace the unit.

Sardot1

I find that after the pump kicks off for the first time I can usually top it off with another 2.5 gallons if I want to spend the time adding a little at a time and let the foam go down.