• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Gen2 light flickers

Jetnoise400

Greetings All,

Perhaps some of you knowledgable types could shed some light on this for me. Last weekend, I was driving my M1009 home from a meet. Everything was working perfectly. Lights on at startup, proper glow plug cycling, etc, etc. No problems. I drove it home on the freeway for about 20-30 minutes and again, ran great with no problems.

But when I got off the freeway, and slowed to a stop, as the engine dropped down to idle RPM, I noticed that my Gen2 light flickered a little... never full intensity, just kinda winked at me a little. But as soon as I got back on the throttle at all, it went out, and never lit up again... until I went back to idle. The Charging (volts?) gauge never left the green.

Do I have a problem, or was the alt just wanting a little more rpm and this just one of those things it will do sometimes?

I should add that belts are all new (and I think tight enough) and no slipping is evident. And the truck has VERY low miles on it.

Thanks!

Jetnoise400

Thanks for the reply Mike. I had a feeling it might be okay, as the lights sometimes don't go out after startup until I raise the rpms a little... so I was hoping it was a similar type deal.

Thanks again!

IRWFO

Last month one of my Gen lights (don't remember which one) started to glow when I pulled into my driveway one night. I revved the motor but it still had a low dim glow. Like you the gauge was perfect. I shut off the truck and when I restarted it, and it was gone. Never happened again. Gremlins messing with my head, I say

rgguin

Sean, I had the same problem with my M1009 Gen 2 light flickering. When I first bought it the Gen 2 light did not come on at all. I checked the bulb and it was OK. The right side alternator was not charging the rear battery. I took the alternator to a shop where they replaced the regulator in it and I put it back on my M1009. Well that is when my Gen 2 light started working, but after the engine warmed up it acted just like yours when I stopped or slowed down to stop. I checked the batteries and they were both getting 14.5 or so volts. The last few weeks I have noticed it staying on longer and solid at stops rather than flickering. Today the Gen 2 light will not come on. I checked the bulb and it is OK. Checked the charging on the batteries and now the rear one is not charging again. Could something be messing up my right side alternator? Because it looks like the same problem as I had before?

IRWFO

Just for the hell of it look at the fusible links coming off the junction block on the firewall. If they are like mine the links are just crimp connected to the main wires. My charging problems with the rear battery when I first got the truck came from a corroded crimp connector in that area. As soon as I replaced the connector my problems were gone. Also remember, if that gen light isn't on when you turn the key the alternator will not excite and won't charge the batteries.

rgguin

Jerry, my fusible links looked to be all original. I do not see any crimp connected wires? Can you remove the fusible link or what size would need to replace the original link?

Thanks

IRWFO

This isn't my truck but here is a photo of the area I found the bad connector. It was one of the blue fusible links coming off the right side of the junction block. It went down to a heavy red wire that went into the big split loom. The bad connector was in between the link and the red wire. Before finding this problem my volt gauge was always on the low side. As time went by it started to go into the yellow. That's when I saw the gen light come on every so often when I stopped at a light. Testing the batteries I found the rear one was not charging. It was about 5 months ago that this happened so I don't remember exactly what steps I did but I know I started tracing wires from the left alt. and came across this bad connector. As soon as I replaced it my volt gauge is showing a perfect reading and have had no problems since. I don't know how fusible links are rated but they are available in auto parts stores. I was told it goes by the color but I really am not sure.

Attachments

2deuce

Jerry,

I have had the same dim glow on one of my generator lights. It seems to be happening more and getting a little brighter too. Anyone have an answer or solved this one?
Thanks,
Greg

rgguin

I replaced my regulator in the passenger alternator yesterday, since this is what reapired my Gen 2 light not working or at least I thought it did six months ago? Cranked up the M1009 and and still no Gen 2 light or proper charging to rear battery. I then pulled and checked all of the fuses in the fuse panel to be OK. Turned key on and still no Gen 2 light. I had previusly checked the Gen 2 bulb the day before and it was OK. I went around the engine compartment wiggling wires on both alternators and all of the fusible links looking for any loose wires. All seemed OK. Frustrated I went to give up for the day and when I turned the kwy on the Gen 2 light came on to my surprise! I cranked it and now have proper voltage at the rear battery 14.6 and all seems OK. I di nothing but touch a few wires and found no loose conncetions. Now for another new problem. My service lights no longer work. I have had no problem with them at all. Sounds like something is loose? :cry: This is frustrating. All of my wiring seems OK and original. No Bubba splices or anything.

rgguin

Mike, It seems like the trouble would be in the blackout switch. My horn, lights, blinkers, tailights all quit at the same time. They were all working Monday. All I had done was pull and check all fuses and put in the new regulator in my alternator. How this is related to the light switch other than me pulling the light fuse I do not know?

mangus580

They ALL go through the one fuse.... Trust me :) The 'service' mode powers the horn, lights, blinkers, tailights, brake lights, and some acc feeds.

rgguin

Mike, I am feeling kind of stupid right now, but happy :lol: I got my lights and everything back working. You were right that fuses was the problem! Except I was the cause of the problem. Before I had the fuse panel labels to go by, I had been trouble shooting the fuse panel by pulling them one by one and checking them. I only had one 30 amp fuse and when I plugged it back in guess what? Yes that's right I plugged it into the backup light fuse socket instead of the main light socket. Well now I have the 30 amp fuse in the right place and all is well. 8) Now back to my one remaining M1009 problem, is it the sending unit or the connections in the dash that make my gas gauge roam around? Thanks to all for the help and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks