• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Glow Plug Relay resistor location?

dpaulus

Thank you to everyone who posts on this site. I really appreciate it.

My '85 M1009 was running pretty well. Hard start sometimes, so I just replaced the very old glow plugs as maintenance.

After changing the glow plugs it got cold and won't start.

I followed the "Glow Plugs" trouble shooting on the wiki page as follows:

1. Checked for voltage between glow plug wire and ground - NO VOLTAGE
2. Checked for voltage on Left Large terminal - HAS VOLTAGE
3. Last step says to verify wire between resistor and relay is good, replace resistor or do 12V resistor bypass.

Will someone tell me where the resistor is and what it looks like? Also, would you recommend a 12V resistor bypass?

Also, when the key is turned on, I hear the relay clunk after the delay. Should I just do the glow plug bypass instead of a new card?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because we all are suppose to be here waiting to answer everyones questions. Didn't you know that? ;-)

dpaulus

Sorry, I did not bump it. I wrote a new comment about hearing the relay clunk. Then I saw that you can just edit the original post, so I cut and pasted it into the original post.

cpf240

Test the voltage on both large terminals of the GP relay when the wait light is on. It is not uncommon for the contacts in the relay to get carboned up, and no longer pass enough juice to the glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks