• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 glowplug specs

jmmay82

Hi just wondering if the glowplugs form a standard 6.2 will work in a m1009 does anyone have any recomendations on the type of glow plugs to use or the place to purchase them? Thnaks

Sarge

I replaced all of my military glow plugs with AC Delco 60G's a couple of months ago, works like a champ. Only problem is that the connectors on the military wiring harness are skinny narrow little things and the 60G's are wider, actually a very common width available everywhere. I soldered the new connectors on and used heatshrink on them. You can just cut off the old ones and crimp new female spade connectors on, but soldering is much better due to corrosion/damp etc.
To get the old mushroomed plugs out, I used a glow plug removal tool from JJ&A racing products. FANTASTIC!! They all came out just by wiggling the tool, and boy howdy, were they ever mushroomed! Well worth the $70 or so.
-Sarge

Michael

You can get the AC60G plugs at any parts store and most will have them in stock. You have to order the wellman 070 online. The wellman are a little cheaper and are the correct size terminal. Someone reported they recently bought a set that failed and swelled. I still prefer the AC60Gs myself.

Search for glow plugs, it will keep you reading for hours.:wink:

Sarge

Kipman, just curious, I've heard of people using the method that you used, how do you grip the broken off ends and pull them out?
Are they magnetic?
Do you have to have good motor skills? (That lets me out!)
Thanks!
-Sarge

Mudstone

sorry to dig up an old thread but how long are GPs supposed to last in these trucks... i think i may have lost one and i replaced all 8 about a year ago.

MuddWeiser

Don't freak out if your glow plugs don't come out easily... Everyone likes to tell the mushroom stories (myself included);

HOWEVER, sometimes you may THINK you have a mushroom plug because it won't easily come out -- simply put a pair of vice grips, or needle nose pliers on the hex head and pull straight back maybe rotating it left/right but pull STRAIGHT and chances are it will come out. The plug holes get dirty and the plugs get deposits.

Oh... AND I HAVE USED THE 60G plugs twice.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO MODIFY YOUR HARNESS TO USE 60G.

Yes, the 60G plugs have a fat, common, tip - but you can simply take a pair of dykes and snip a little off the left, and a little off the right of the terminal on the NEW plug and they will fit in the original harness... Thats what I did anyway. I think its easier than modifying the harness!

NOTE: USE ANTISIEZE COMPOUND ON THE THREADS WHEN YOU INSTALL NEW GP. AND -- Use some dielectric grease on the terminals to keep them from corroding and shorting out a bank of plugs. (the grease costs like $1-$2 and will do ALL 8 plugs. and is well worth it)