• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Gun Rack question

CycleJay

Hi all,

Is it possible to get some form of lock (with a key),
for the M1009 rifle rack that is behind the driver's seat?

So that way I can lock my rifle into it, when I need it there.

Any information would be appreciated, thank you,

CJ

Napoleon_Tanerite

probably could loop a cable lock around it, especially if you're locking up a rifle like an AR15 that has a front sight base you could loop the cable through.

I generally don't consider my M1009 secure one bit, and will not keep anything in there I can't live without. These trucks are a lot of things, but theft-resistant is not one of them.

timm831

Cyclejay,

I have to agree with Napoleon, the CUCV series of trucks were not designed for internal security. Especially if you consider that at best that there are only three different keys needed for all of the CUCV's produced for the military. That's not each individual branch of service, a key to a Marine Corps CUCV fits one for the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Additionally, our vehicles tend to draw people to them to check them out and possible to bring back some old memories. You certainly don't want the wrong type of person (and you won't know until it's too late) to walk off with your weapons. My advice is to never leave a weapon unattended in ANY military vehicle.

beanman1

I had an M16 airsoft rifle that I used to keep in my m1009 until the kids in the hood decided that they wanted it more than me so now that is an empty space

CycleJay

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies to my question.
I do not think the M1009 is secure either, since everyone that has a CUCV has a key to mine, and I have a key to theirs, since we all have the same key.

That is why I was asking about a key lock for the gun rack.

So IF I ever had to, (for some reason, like SHTF...) leave a weapon in my m1009,
then I had some sort of at least minimal protection from it getting stolen.

I never leave a weapon unattended in my vehicle anyway, so I was just asking
hypothetically...

Thank you... Have a good day,

CJ

Pawnshop

I agree with the cable lock idea. OR if you want it to look military, use a chain and a padlock! I sometimes drive around with rubber duckies in mine and when I park it somewhere I drape a poncho over the muzzles, it physically hides them and the camo blends in so you can't really tell there is anything there at all.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Cable lock all the way on AR platform rifles. Once it's through the magazine weld and ejection port no punks getting it. I'd never leave a rifle unattended for long anyways.

KsM715

If its for a SHTF situation, that weapon would go where I go, not get left in a truck.

Edit: If your talking about carrying a rifle just incase you run into a SHTF situation then it should be locked in a case out of site. Even with a chain and padlock if someone figures out you like to drive around and leave a gun in your truck they will figure out a way to take it. (carry bolt cutters around with then till they find your truck unattended)

Last edited:

OL AG '89

WHEN SHTF, my weapon is attached to me at the hip, complete with DUMMY cord. If I sleep, she is there with me, If I Pee, she is there helping me hold my GUN...
I think your LOCAL Laws dictate on this topic.....
In Texas it is PERFECTLY legal to walk down the street with a rifle or shotgun slung over your shoulder..... PERFECTLY LEGAL..... however I can GUARANTEE you will raise the attention of ALL LEO's within a 20 block radius if you care to attempt.
In TEXAS it is NOT Legal, AT ALL, to leave a weapon unsecured in a vehicle......
I realize that all of us have done it..... going hunting, stop off at the diner outside the gate to the lease and every one of the vehicles in the parking lot has several weapons in them.... mostly unsecured.... HOWEVER, most everyone in the restaurant may also be carrying legally, CHL is a breeze here in Texas.
Bottomline is get a box or rack for the floor behind the seat and LOCK the weapons up and then protect them (cover) from wandering eyes....
I personally prefer an axe handle that has been modified to fit the Gun Lock behind the seat..... cause my GLOCK is ALWAYS strapped to my hip...... but it hurts my ears when fired.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks