• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 hacked electrical

Ckrebello

Hello everyone,
I just picked up my first MV. It is a 1985 M1009. One the previous owners converted the rig over to 12v by hacking away at the wiring. The blackout lights are disconnected or cut. There’s random issues with the glow plug controller and it has electric fans that run when ever the ignition is on. Etc. I would like to bring it back to 24v and reinstall a NATO slave as well as functional blackout lights. I live in northern Vermont and figure the 24v starter can’t hurt. I’m looking for advice.

joshuak

I'd say go for it!

You mention the conversion was a hack job, so maybe engine and cabin compartment wiring harnesses, the colored wiring diagrams and some elbow grease. Sounds like a fun, worthwhile project. Great way to get to know your truck.

24v system here and the '09 starts at single degree temps. If I lived further north, I may consider a heating element of sorts.

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome, Ckrebello. (y)

Good advice from Joshua. It's going to be a one-step-at-a-time kind of thing. Get familiar with the TMs. They are free!

Also, read through the Helpful Threads sticky before you start. Lots of good information there. It will help you a lot.

By the way, you don't have an 85. You have an 84. The Army didn't want the hassle of dealing with model year changes in their supply chain, so they required them all to be built to 84 specs. When you need parts, you want 1984 parts, no matter if your truck was built in 84, 85, or 86.

Ckrebello

I'd say go for it!

You mention the conversion was a hack job, so maybe engine and cabin compartment wiring harnesses, the colored wiring diagrams and some elbow grease. Sounds like a fun, worthwhile project. Great way to get to know your truck.

24v system here and the '09 starts at single degree temps. If I lived further north, I may consider a heating element of sorts.
Where would I look to get wiring harnesses?

Ckrebello

HMMM. Where would he look? Who you going to call? Do you need an entire wiring harness?
I’m guessing that I need everything. Someone hacked this up pretty good. There are wires hanging and random gauge cable.
I know that I’ll have to swap out the starter and alternators to go back to 24v is there anything else I should be prepared to swap?

MarcusOReallyus

HMMM. Where would he look? Who you going to call?

I just can't imagine where a fella could find an intact CUCV harness, Rick. Nope, nothing comes to mind.... o_O

Hey, Ckrebello, figure out what you need. Post pics here for help if you need it. Mr. CUCVRus can probably fix you up.

(Did I mention that you should post pics?)

By the way, you should post pics.

Last edited:

joshuak

Last edited:

cucvrus

MarcusOReallyus

Not sure what you are asking...

If you need a harness, you can just send a PM (Private Message) to CUCVRUS. He probably has one. OR, you can check the resources Joshua offered.

But I still think you should post pics.....

This thread is worthless without pics.gif

joshuak

Great idea. I never supported the site. Fair enough? Free help anytime. Have a Great Weekend. Thank you.
Wow, get over yourself. I never stated or implied you don't help the site.

OP quoted my answer with a question and I answered with other options. Yes, I emphasized vendors as they help keep the lights on. I could have said ebay.

Next are you going to get on Marcus for using a picture emoji like you have on the past to me?

Show me on the doll where bad man named Joshua touched you, LOL.

Feel free to answer via PM, I thought this thread was about the OP needing to repair a hacked truck. Lets get back to that shall we?

Yes OP nopics

cucvrus

Wow, get over yourself. I never stated or implied you don't help the site.

OP quoted my answer with a question and I answered with other options. Yes, I emphasized vendors as they help keep the lights on. I could have said ebay.

Next are you going to get on Marcus for using a picture emoji like you have on the past to me?

Show me on the doll where bad man named Joshua touched you, LOL.

Feel free to answer via PM, I thought this thread was about the OP needing to repair a hacked truck. Lets get back to that shall we?
I'm not even worthy of a reply to that childish remark. So I will just say have a Great Day. Enjoy your Doll.

Yes OP nopics

Ckrebello

I added some photos showing some of the hack job. There was a crate of parts in the back of the truck. 2 glow plug controller cards. 2 alternators. An injection pump. Some random crap. And a wiring harness for the ignition system at the minimum, maybe someone can enlighten me on the harness. Is it for a 12v system or 24v? Etc.
Some more info about the truck. It runs fine. I drove it 400 miles to get it home. The Speedo spins like a buzzsaw. The glow plug system is not working.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

And a wiring harness for the ignition system at the minimum, maybe someone can enlighten me on the harness. Is it for a 12v system or 24v?
In stock configuration:

The truck is mostly 12v. There is a 24v starter, and 24v is fed to the GP resistor (back of the engine bay, but yours is missing), and there is 24v going to the starter relay under the dash, a 24v feed to the Gen2 idiot light and the voltmeter, and one to the fuse block.

Everything else is 12v.

In your case, you have such a hacked mess that it's really going to be hard help you figure it out. :( But we'll try!

That wiring harness is almost certainly 12v, BTW. One of those GP controller cards was designed and manufactured by one of our members here. CUCV Electric was his company name, but now he sells them through Hillbilly Wizard. Unless it's been fried by your P.O. doing stupid things, it's gold.

The glow plug system is not working.

Let's start there. Trace the wires from your glow plugs and see where they go. Post pics. You are trying to find out how the P.O. has got them hacked up.

joshuak

PO sure left a mess for you, good thing MarcusO has you on the right track for troubleshooting.

I’m wondering if part of the reason for the attempted 12v conversion was to add the turbo accessories. Not sure if you can add both the 12v and 24v alts in stock configuration and have the Banks kit there. If you get a chance could you take a pic of the whole engine bay?

If you don’t mind putting in work, I’m sure you’ll get it done. Good luck!

cucvrus

After reviewing all the information, pictures and holding off an assault of my offer and experience. I think if I were to rewire that vehicle I would probably salvage the current wiring harness and splice and repair everything as it needs to be to operate. I mean taking a stock harness and trying to make it work is still just cutting up another harness. Some of the smaller sections of the harness can be repaired and replaced as needed. But taking a perfect stock harness and trying to fit it in operational is not an option. Besides the stock harnesses are getting hard to come by. I would say get a stock truck or repair manual and review and compare what you have. And how much is it going to take to make it work. Clean up everything and remove any extra accessories and switches that are not wanted or needed and go from there. Good Luck. I am not a good guy with wires but I can get by and make things work. Basically I am a hobbyist at this point and have not worked in the automotive field for over 30 years. Lastly. Once you have everything properly fitted and routed get some split loom and make it look nice and secure away from hot and moving things. It can be done. Good Luck again. I am not going to be insulted if you don't give my advise a second thought. Enjoy the weekend in what ever it is you do. Do it right. Thank you.

Ckrebello

After reviewing all the information, pictures and holding off an assault of my offer and experience. I think if I were to rewire that vehicle I would probably salvage the current wiring harness and splice and repair everything as it needs to be to operate. I mean taking a stock harness and trying to make it work is still just cutting up another harness. Some of the smaller sections of the harness can be repaired and replaced as needed. But taking a perfect stock harness and trying to fit it in operational is not an option. Besides the stock harnesses are getting hard to come by. I would say get a stock truck or repair manual and review and compare what you have. And how much is it going to take to make it work. Clean up everything and remove any extra accessories and switches that are not wanted or needed and go from there. Good Luck. I am not a good guy with wires but I can get by and make things work. Basically I am a hobbyist at this point and have not worked in the automotive field for over 30 years. Lastly. Once you have everything properly fitted and routed get some split loom and make it look nice and secure away from hot and moving things. It can be done. Good Luck again. I am not going to be insulted if you don't give my advise a second thought. Enjoy the weekend in what ever it is you do. Do it right. Thank you.
Thank you. I agree that I don’t want to chop up a stock harness especially if they are somewhat rare. That’s not my style. I also agree that loom is needed, I already bought some when I saw the mess.

I would like to get stock accessories working like the blackout lights, horn (there isn’t one), etc. It may be silly to some, but I like things to work as close to intended as possible.

Considering my setup what is your opinion of converting back to 24v?
Starter and relay, the alternators being relocated etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks