• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 has no power now that it's warmer in AZ?

scooter421

Thaaat's a bit

Ummm... thaaaat's a wee bit too high.

I live in rural west Ga... the pricing out here is lower than compared to a shop in Atlanta. Try finding a shop in a rural area to rebuild it.
Yeah, I'll keep calling around. There has to be someone willing to do it locally for a reasonable price. If not, I'll be putting it in the mail!

Scooter...

cucvrus

I used this company for CUCV's, HMMWV's, Kubota's, Kumotsu, and any other diesel. Never had any issues. If you have other issues before you replace the pump you will still have them issues after you replace the pump. It is NOT the cure all but will fix the fuel related delivery issues. But everything else is vehicle specific. I send them the old pump and have marked it with a letter punch and received the same pump housing back every time. Sad stories are just that. Do as you wish. Make sure everything else related to the fuel system is operating as designed. Good Luck.

scooter421

Thank you, I did reach out to those exact folks just the other day. First, I am double checking the fuel delivery and doing a complete filter housing assembly swap this morning. I'd not realized previously someone had unplugged the switch and plugged the small hole for the filter restriction switch on the fuel manager. Finding that, I used a fuel pump to circulate the fuel from the FM back to the tank and I was pulling air in from somewhere on the FM. I could not identify the air leak. I'll post on how it goes.

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Thank you, I did reach out to those exact folks just the other day. First, I am double checking the fuel delivery and doing a complete filter housing assembly swap this morning. I'd not realized previously someone had unplugged the switch and plugged the small hole for the filter restriction switch on the fuel manager. Finding that, I used a fuel pump to circulate the fuel from the FM back to the tank and I was pulling air in from somewhere on the FM. I could not identify the air leak. I'll post on how it goes.

Scooter...

Okay, I pulled the FM out and with better light the hole for the FM restriction switch does not go through into the fuel path at all. Perhaps, this is a later model after they realized that switch was a problem?

Moving on with the fuel housing/filter change out as planned. I used a 6.5 diesel fuel filter assembly with heater, primer bulb and WIF switch. I had to convert the wiring to fit the M1009 connections but was able to utilize the existing quick disconnects. I identified which wires triggered the dash WIF light and connected them to the new fuel filter housing accordingly. The heater was a no brainer. I made up a quick bracket and installed the housing. I had to use a variety of connections to go from 1/2 inch inlet/outlet on the new fuel filter housing to mate up with the stock fuel lines on the M1009. After two different hardware store visits, I managed to acquire the parts needed to complete adapters for the fuel lines.

The odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime 1/3000. The odds of the hardware store being out of what you need the day you need it? I'd say 1/3?

I'm pretty sure there are only two different version of this housing with different hose positions. I got the one that most closely matched the M1009 hose positions.

The priming bulb is a God send! It started right up and quickly died, no surprise there after pulling the fuel lines though. It started up again without much trouble and smoothed out significantly. There was far less engine clatter than ever before accompanied by a lot more smoke than it's ever had. It appears to be getting more fuel but I'm still questioning the timing. It has a much quicker throttle response as well. I don't yet know what to make of the changes but they are notable for sure. I've not ruled out the IP yet at all. The page of the instructions say the filter unit can be used on either the vacuum or pressure side of the fuel transfer pump. More tinkering awaits....

"Fuel Filter_HDR_resized.jpg"]831477

Scooter...[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Last edited:

scooter421

I adjusted the IP timing to roughly 6 degrees advanced, little to no smoke but a little engine clatter which went away when it was warm. Fair enough and to be expected with too much advance. It idled pretty darn smooth with good throttle response with no load. I brought it back to roughly 2 to 3 degrees advanced, it started great, idled great, no clatter, virtually no smoke unless I revved the motor pretty good. At this point it's not sounded this smooth/good since I bought it. This again was with no load. So, I take it out for a spin around the block.

Absolutely no power under load and it took way too long for the RPM's to come up and get some speed. It did not die though and continued to idle smooth. That being said, I think the filter assembly swap fixed some of the issues, the slight advance helped too. However, the final remaining element of the IP is likely the culprit.

Scooter...

scooter421

More digging and more information. Check this out, acquired from: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/10-best-diesel-tech-articles-on-trucktrend

"Retention of heat is a critical factor in fuel thinning after a high-ambient heat soak. As the hotter, thinner fuel passes through the pump, internal leakage increases and reduces fuel output. To compensate for this loss, a bimetallic temperature compensator strip was added to the governor arm to increase the metering valve opening. This provides a compensated idle speed curve and corrects engine idle speed at elevated ambient temperature."

Scooter...

LT67

Okay, I pulled the FM out and with better light the hole for the FM restriction switch does not go through into the fuel path at all. Perhaps, this is a later model after they realized that switch was a problem?

Moving on with the fuel housing/filter change out as planned. I used a 6.5 diesel fuel filter assembly with heater, primer bulb and WIF switch. I had to convert the wiring to fit the M1009 connections but was able to utilize the existing quick disconnects. I identified which wires triggered the dash WIF light and connected them to the new fuel filter housing accordingly. The heater was a no brainer. I made up a quick bracket and installed the housing. I had to use a variety of connections to go from 1/2 inch inlet/outlet on the new fuel filter housing to mate up with the stock fuel lines on the M1009. After two different hardware store visits, I managed to acquire the parts needed to complete adapters for the fuel lines.

The odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime 1/3000. The odds of the hardware store being out of what you need the day you need it? I'd say 1/3?

I'm pretty sure there are only two different version of this housing with different hose positions. I got the one that most closely matched the M1009 hose positions.

The priming bulb is a God send! It started right up and quickly died, no surprise there after pulling the fuel lines though. It started up again without much trouble and smoothed out significantly. There was far less engine clatter than ever before accompanied by a lot more smoke than it's ever had. It appears to be getting more fuel but I'm still questioning the timing. It has a much quicker throttle response as well. I don't yet know what to make of the changes but they are notable for sure. I've not ruled out the IP yet at all. The page of the instructions say the filter unit can be used on either the vacuum or pressure side of the fuel transfer pump. More tinkering awaits....

"Fuel Filter_HDR_resized.jpg"]831477

Scooter...[/ATTACH]
Yes, a manual primer is one of the best upgrades to our CUCV's. The filter housing on my 85 M1008 started leaking, so we swapped in a Duramax fuel filter set up. Fuel filter changes and priming the system is a breeze now. As soon as I come across another D'max fuel filter set up, I'll snag it for my 86 M1008

scooter421

Good morning, it's been a while and it's finally cooler here in AZ and with my outdoor projects thinning out, I finally pulled the IP out of my spare 6.2. The rebuilder I've selected from Ebay promptly called and notified me the IP pump already had the solid flex ring. That is a nice bonus! My 82' pick-up with the 6.2 and the CUCV will run idle and move around the yard now that it's cooler. Leading me to believe there is something to be said about the new diesel, hot temps thinning the fuel and worn IP pumps. I'm still a chicken to jump in the CUCV and go for a ride. Getting stuck on the side of the road waiting for my wife to come tow me home really sucks! She is terrified towing anything too. I'm looking forward to getting the rebuilt IP pump into the CUCV. I sure hope the injectors come out if need be!

Scooter...

scooter421

Hello all, it's been a while.....again. My IP pump came in after the rebuild and it's finally installed. So far my CUCV seems to be running great. It's not a project I'd prefer to repeat but I have an 82 quare body with the same motor. So, I'll be doing it again eventually. I installed the Tiny Tach while I was at it. Hooking it up is simple, getting it in the dash took a little effort but it turned out pretty good I think. The Tiny Tach is great. I set the idle for roughly 700rpm. It runs about 1700 to 1750 at 45mph. Having the tach is a great addition. I've not had it on the freeway yet. It was totally worth the effort of installing the Tiny Tach.

Scooter...

scooter421

Hello all, it's been a while.....again. My IP pump came in after the rebuild and it's finally installed. So far my CUCV seems to be running great. It's not a project I'd prefer to repeat but I have an 82 square body with the same motor. So, I'll be doing it again eventually. I installed the Tiny Tach while I was at it. Hooking it up is simple, getting it in the dash took a little effort but it turned out pretty good I think. The Tiny Tach is great. I set the idle for roughly 700rpm. It runs about 1700 to 1750 at 45mph. Having the tach is a great addition. I've not had it on the freeway yet. It was totally worth the effort of installing the Tiny Tach.

Scooter...

Interesting, now I have another issue creeping up. Intermittent starting....

When it starts, which so far has been almost every time I turn the key. It's starting just as quick as my 2011 daily driver. However, a couple times now it will crank and not start. I'm confident it's not a fuel issue, I have 12v to the injection pump coil every time I check and the coil is clicking. The only thing I've noticed between a quick start and a no start is the "wait" light stays on with the no start.

Air + fuel + compression = start....generally. So, now to inspect the glow plug control module.

Scooter...

cucvrus

Make sure the glow plug relay under the hood on the firewall is transferring the power from the top stud to the bottom stud. Sometimes slag or something builds up on the plate that transfers the electric. This can cause issues. next thing I always do is remove the glow plugs and bench test them. Easier then guessing and even getting the tools to check each one. Pull all 8 and check them out. Report back with your findings. Good Luck.

scooter421

Hello all, it's been a while.....again. My IP pump came in after the rebuild and it's finally installed. So far my CUCV seems to be running great. It's not a project I'd prefer to repeat but I have an 82 quare body with the same motor. So, I'll be doing it again eventually. I installed the Tiny Tach while I was at it. Hooking it up is simple, getting it in the dash took a little effort but it turned out pretty good I think. The Tiny Tach is great. I set the idle for roughly 700rpm. It runs about 1700 to 1750 at 45mph. Having the tach is a great addition. I've not had it on the freeway yet. It was totally worth the effort of installing the Tiny Tach. The CUCV is still a gutless wonder but I sure have fun driving it! If only Banks still made the dang turbo kit!

Scooter...

Will do, I'm not sure if I'll have time before the weekend but I will certainly get back with my findings. Thanks for the tips!

Scooter...

Last edited:

scooter421

Okay, everything checked out so far except the GP Relay. It appears it might be an intermittent old age problem. Old age....another issue entirely!

All 8 glow plugs check out between 1 & 2 ohms, I have 12v power to the GP relay by-passing the resistor bank. However, I did finally catch the GP Relay with my meter in hand, doing the exact same thing N8roro mentioned in a post about the "wait" light on and it'll crank but not start.

The GP relay was closing each time I turned on the ignition until about the 8th time. I only turned the key to listen for the click and I gave it time in between attempts. I did not leave the ignition on until the light went out. After I heard no click, I tapped the relay with my wrench, it closed and the "wait" light went out a few seconds later. It starts instantly if the "wait' light turns off rather quick. If the wait light stays on for an extended period of time before it goes out, it will not start but keep cranking until the batteries give up. I'm in AZ, it's not cold but apparently it's cold enough to keep it from starting without a functional GP relay.

Using the tech manual and an Ohm meter, I found the resistance between the two smaller wire studs on the GP relay was at 38 Ohm's. The tech manual says this measurement should be 6 Ohm's on the OEM. Whether or not the additional resistance is a big factor, the manual says to replace it. This relay looks to be the original; so, I ordered a GP relay and we'll see what happens from there.

Thanks for the assist CUCVRUS!

Hopefully, after the relay swap it'll start just fine for the long haul!

Scooter...

Last edited:

scooter421

New GP relay installed and working. Now, time will tell if this is the only Gremlin lurking...for now. The manifold and the injection pump are now the cleanest things under the hood! Notice the resistor wires hanging out behind the air cleaner. Someone, by-passed the resistors in the past. I thought the 12V to the GP relay was going through the resistor set as intended. I had not had to trace these wires until the no start issue began, I thought the resistor set had been left alone. I'll test the resistor set another day, right now she's working!

Scooter...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks