• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 has no power now that it's warmer in AZ?

scooter421

These n/a 6.2 diesels don't exactly run hot to begin with...

Had these symptoms on my 86 M1008; excessive blow by, 190 coolant temps, down on power, no heat coming out of the vents. Turns out the water pump was the culprit. Changed it out and now the engine never gets warmer than 150 degrees because of the blow by. The engine got a lil bit better when we put a new lift pump on, but the excessive blow by is why it's down on power because the engine is losing compression. Lol, on warm restarts it will not fire back up on it's own. I have to use a manual glow plug switch for a few seconds so it'll refire. Hope this helps..
Interesting LT67, did you have a coolant leak on the water pump or was the problem completely internal? Agreed, there is a reason they made a front grill cover. It's a perfect ride to work in the winter living in AZ. Where it snows, I might need a grill cover! The 6.2 is a cooler running engine for sure.

With a transmission temp gauge now installed, I was running just about 150-152 deg at the trans. Ambient temperature was about 95deg the day I took a run on the freeway to see how the trans temp would do. Consequently, I ended up needing a tow home. The next morning, it started up just fine as expected. The same thing happened last year around the same time frame with the same ambient temps. I remember because I had just taken it to emissions when it happened the first time (that's another story entirely) and I just took it through emissions again a few weeks back.

I'm confident it's a fuel issue, I just need to pinpoint it. I need to check the fuel tank sock again, consider the spin on fuel filter mod to ensure it's not an air problem or replace the IP. First, I need to go through the tech manual and make sure everything is set close to where it should be.

Running fine in cooler weather but barely once it's hotter outside is driving me crazy.

Scooter...

cucvrus

I would get the injection pump rebuilt and call it fixed. I had them go out in 5 months and others in 5 minutes. It always fixed a lot of ills on the old 6.2 , 6.9 and the 7. 3 diesel engines I had to deal with. Seems to be an item that everyone tries to avoid dealing with. And it is rather simple and for $450. + or - it is a good start. Good Luck.

scooter421

I would get the injection pump rebuilt and call it fixed. I had them go out in 5 months and others in 5 minutes. It always fixed a lot of ills on the old 6.2 , 6.9 and the 7. 3 diesel engines I had to deal with. Seems to be an item that everyone tries to avoid dealing with. And it is rather simple and for $450. + or - it is a good start. Good Luck.
I just took the cap off mine again to make sure the metering valve was free and found a chunk of black hard "rubber" debris sitting around the metering valve. There were two more small particles that looked like pepper which others have mentioned. So, it looks like an IP it is. I'll be waiting until fall to get going on this again most likely. It's rather unpleasant cruising around AZ summers with no A/C and summer has pretty much arrived! Consequently, I'm no longer in a hurry.

I too believe it's something folks avoid, including me. So many times the effort and cost of a fix is far less than the cost of an IP. We keep poking around hoping to find the root cause is a simple cheap fix; unfortunately, that's not always the case.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I'll post again once I have the new IP installed with the results.

IP_debris.jpg
Scooter...

Last edited:

LT67

Interesting LT67, did you have a coolant leak on the water pump or was the problem completely internal? Agreed, there is a reason they made a front grill cover. It's a perfect ride to work in the winter living in AZ. Where it snows, I might need a grill cover! The 6.2 is a cooler running engine for sure.

With a transmission temp gauge now installed, I was running just about 150-152 deg at the trans. Ambient temperature was about 95deg the day I took a run on the freeway to see how the trans temp would do. Consequently, I ended up needing a tow home. The next morning, it started up just fine as expected. The same thing happened last year around the same time frame with the same ambient temps. I remember because I had just taken it to emissions when it happened the first time (that's another story entirely) and I just took it through emissions again a few weeks back.

I'm confident it's a fuel issue, I just need to pinpoint it. I need to check the fuel tank sock again, consider the spin on fuel filter mod to ensure it's not an air problem or replace the IP. First, I need to go through the tech manual and make sure everything is set close to where it should be.

Running fine in cooler weather but barely once it's hotter outside is driving me crazy.

Scooter...
Water pump issue was internal

Emissions??

Next time you fire up the engine and gets warm, pull the oil dipstick. If there's noticeable smoke blowing out of the dipstick tube, you have a blow by issue.

Did you ever change lift pump?

LT67

I don't think it's the engine. When it runs, it runs good. Starts right up, burns no oil, Barely smoked at all until I changed out the fuel cut off solenoid. I'm confident it's the fuel delivery one way or another. It certainly could be the IP. The strange part is that it ran fine below 80deg ambient. Cold advance kicks in around that same temp right?

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Has the Inj Pump been rebuilt?

scooter421

Emissions??

Next time you fire up the engine and gets warm, pull the oil dipstick. If there's noticeable smoke blowing out of the dipstick tube, you have a blow by issue.

Will do, I've never seen anything come out of the dip stick tube but l've not looked too close for that either. The emissions testing is a requirement in AZ. I've argued this with the DMV here each year. It has the sticker on it that says it's exempt like all the others. They just want their money.

Scooter...

scooter421

Emissions??

Lift pump has been replaced by me the last time this happened, no rebuild on IP that I am aware of.

Scooter...

LT67

Lift pump has been replaced by me the last time this happened, no rebuild on IP that I am aware of.

Scooter...

Which part number was the lift pump?

When the engine is warm, can you turn on the heat and feel hot air coming out of the vents?

scooter421

Scooter...

Not sure, it matched the old one and it's ran fine for months. I don't think there was anything wrong with the one I took out but changed it because everything is old. There is still pressure to the IP.

I ran a camera into the fuel tank. The tank is clean like new and the filter sock looks to be in great shape.
Replaced the small section of tubing connecting the hard lines by the passenger door.
Replaced the fuel filter again (the rectangular one) just because. No sludge or anything in the previous two filters I changed out. I changed one when I bought it and another after about a year just because.
Replaced the fuel sending unit and hose.
Replaced the main hose to the IP off the fuel filter.
Replaced the fuel line going to the check valve at the IP.
Replaced the check valve at the IP, it was tired but not clogged. I've not found any particulates to speak of yet.
Made sure fuel was getting back to the tank through the return line.
Tested the "click" for the fuel cut off solenoid which seems to be working. I did not remove the cover for inspection.
Replaced the vacuum modulator while I was at it.
Replaced the throttle position switch.
Checked for vapor lock at the tank, not it.

When the engine is warm, can you turn on the heat and feel hot air coming out of the vents?

scooter421

Yes, hot air does come out of the vents.

Another thing I'm going to check before it gets too hot is for air coming in from the fuel filter housing. It's not leaking but I know it can be a problem. Either way though, chunks of something in the IP are of concern.

Scooter...

LT67

Yes, hot air does come out of the vents.

Another thing I'm going to check before it gets too hot is for air coming in from the fuel filter housing. It's not leaking but I know it can be a problem. Either way though, chunks of something in the IP are of concern.

Scooter...
Definitely not your water pump..

cucvrus

The chunks are the head in the injection pump coming apart. Get a replacement injection pump or get the original one overhauled. I had Brand New injection pumps fail in a few months. they were brand new but 20 years old in the box. Never again. I don't trust anything stored in a box that long anymore. I have new cylinder heads in crates and axles but would guess they have nothing in them that would not let my truck start and run when properly installed. The injection pump is a very complex piece and requires precision calibration. Just get a competent shop to rebuild the current one. Don't let Bubba down the road do it unless you like changing injection pumps on a regular basis. Good Luck. Be Safe,

scooter421

That's what I'm afraid of, it's old but I knew that when I bought it. I'll provide cost details once the replacement of the IP begins. I'll likely wait until September or so before I get back to it.

I've called a couple diesel shops so far and as expected, the knowledge to rebuild and calibrate these is dwindling. I have found the tractor community still uses these or similar type pumps and still have the equipmemt and rigs to calibrate them. So, I'll get it done once it cools off again!

Scooter...

LT67

That's what I'm afraid of, it's old but I knew that when I bought it. I'll provide cost details once the replacement of the IP begins. I'll likely wait until September or so before I get back to it.

I've called a couple diesel shops so far and as expected, the knowledge to rebuild and calibrate these is dwindling. I have found the tractor community still uses these or similar type pumps and still have the equipmemt and rigs to calibrate them. So, I'll get it done once it cools off again!

Scooter...

A local shop that rebuilds injection pumps for tractors rebuilt mine. It works just fine... If I remember correctly it cost me $580 for the rebuild.

scooter421

A local shop that rebuilds injection pumps for tractors rebuilt mine. It works just fine... If I remember correctly it cost me $580 for the rebuild.
Good to know, thank you. I have yet to find someone who does them locally. That gives me an idea of what it should/could cost. Was the $580 recent?

Scooter...

scooter421

Oh okay, I just found a local place here that says they do rebuilds. I'll be calling them on Monday to see what they charge. At least they are close by!

Scooter...

LT67

Thaaat's a bit
Wow, my first local rebuild quote is $1000!

Scooter...
Ummm... thaaaat's a wee bit too high.

I live in rural west Ga... the pricing out here is lower than compared to a shop in Atlanta. Try finding a shop in a rural area to rebuild it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks