• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 heated fuel filter ??

bassplayer88

Does anyone know if the vacuum switch connection on the m1009 fuel filter is only isolated to the diagnostic curcuit and what it does ?.. Which it is in the schematic . I'm rewiring (rewiring the entire system for my project) to manually control the fuel filter heater. I can't tell if the vacuum switch restricts flow if not powered .. thanks.

bassplayer88

Its,

TM 9-2320-289-34 Appendix E diagram :
E-3 water in fuel ....
E-11 shows vacuum switch
E-20 fuel filter heater

Thanks..

mangus580

you dont need the vacuum swithc (also known as the fuell pressure switch) they are known to fail and leak. Alot of guys take them out and plug the hole some how.

n1vbn

Sit in the drivers seat.

Notice big round metal cap with chain attached next to your right leg?

That is where you plug in a diagnostic machine that tells you things like exact voltage from each alternator and amps, whether you have fuel pressure or vacuum at the fuel filter....this is the only use of the fuel vacuum switch. Only the Military vesion of the GM Diesel light trucks have the fuel pressure switch.

It also lets you know if the heater on the fuel filter is working and the water sensor. Water temperature of engine, oil pressure, operation of glow plug system (when engine is ice cold aka: room temperature) All in all a handy little device to have for preventative maintenace but I am drawing a blank...can't remember the model of the diagnostic machine. Last I heard they go for about $100 at Military fleamarkets.

The diagnostic instrument is known as STE/ICE (pronounced as stay-ice) and stands for Simplified Test Equipment/Internal Combustion Engine. These sets were made to diagnose everything from early M series gas vehicles to Bradleys and Abrams. They can be used on early vehicles by using appropriate adapters. On newer vehicles a test cable connects the STE/ICE to the connector mentioned above. They have been replaced by newer sets. If you can find a complete set, with all cables and adapters, expect to pay $350 to $450. The test device alone can sometimes be found for about $50.

If anyone has the specific test codes for the CUCV series I would be interested in seeing them. They are not in the TMs for the CUCV or the STE/ICE.