• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 - Initial Start and Running Issues

McCluskey

I recently started having an issue with my truck during initial starting. Truck is 1986 M1009 all systems stock.

The first time I noticed the issue, I started the truck it cranked, turned over, and started up perfectly fine just like normal. Then the RPMs starts to go up and down erratically followed by all the horrible noises that come when the motor runs out of fuel, all the same stuff that happens when my Fuel Filter is toast. My Fuel Filter is less then a month old, so I something else is going on.

After the initial start, run and die it has a harder time restarting and once it does it would promptly die again. I will restart and use a some throttle to keep the RPMs up while they fluctuate until it starts to run better and will continue to run on it's own without throttle assistance. The RPMs will stabilize a bit more, but will sporadically give light surges. Around the time the high idle kicks off and it returns to low idle everything is running perfectly and drives fine with no issues.

Going through the TMs and the forums, I've tried the following. Cleaning out the air filter, everything is good there. Tested the pressure from the FUEL IN line coming from the fuel pump into the fuel filter. Just a hair under 6 psi with constant flow.. Inspected fuel quality and fuel lines, all are good.

From my reading, I believe I may have air getting into the system from the fuel filter assembly I've read a few threads here when cracks are observed that allow air in without leaking fuel. Seems logical to my issue.

Any thoughts gurus?

Barrman

Sounds like you have it figured out. Get a spin on fuel filter and base, check all your fuel lines all the way to the tank and see if all is well again.

McCluskey

That seems to be my best option at this point.

Ok, so between my new filter options whats my ideal choice? The NAPA, Stadadyne, or Racor? Ideal micron filter size? I've read that 2 is ideal.