• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, it's alive! Hahahahaha!

Blood_of_Tyrants

Bought an M1009 from GSA sight unseen. Missing fuel filter and base, glow plugs solenoid, starter, PS pump, one alternator, batteries, and radiator. Oh, and dash pad. Luckily, I had stripped all the parts except for batteries from an M1008 I had parted out (people will pay a LOT of money just for the axles).

Anyway, after I had replaced all the parts, changed the oil and filter, I cranked it with the fuel filter bleed screw open but no fuel came out. The good news was that the oil light went out after cranking a few seconds. Back to the parts store for a fuel pump (just $20). I have really come to despise the engineer who decided on the placement of the fuel pump. If you have never changed one, you are in for a knuckle busting, back-aching, swear word laced 2-3 hours. New fuel pump in, crank for a few seconds and it's primed.

Life happens and it's a week before I get back to it. I crack open all the injector lines and while I am at it, I take a look at a couple of the glow plugs. Surprise! They are almost new! So, crank, crank, crank until I can see fuel leaking from the majority of the injectors.

Now is the moment I have been waiting for, will it run or did they sideline it for a spun bearing or knocking rod or some other fatal problem. Crank, crank, crank. Was that a little hit as it cranked? Yes! Crank a few more seconds after Wait light goes out and she fires right up! Garage is filled with bluish smoke, but I don't care, SHE RUNS!

Radiator needs to be patched a bit, but it will be okay.

BTW, my 8 year old daughter has already laid claim to the M1009 saying that she wants to drive it to school when she is old enough.

Okay, a question, the blues smoke is most likely oil, but the diesel in it is of unknown age, probably several years old. I'll get some diesel treatment and new fuel for it. The question is this, if the oil rings are stuck, will adding Marvel Mystery Oil help unstick them? Is there another product that will help?

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
Sweet congrats on breathing life into the old beast! Im trying to get mine running as well, it came froma GSA auction in AR its missing a few pieces here and there also. Its a shame how they just pick through these trucks before being auctioned.

one more thing,nopics

Blood_of_Tyrants

Yea, since they got the trucks for free, they don't want to put any money into them. So when the fuel pump went out on this truck, they just started using it for parts.

Also, the driver window and back window were down. Lots of leaves and trash inside. A leaf blower took care of that. The good thing is that the air filter was still on the engine and kept critters and mud daubers out of the intake. There is some rust, but only on the driver's side floorboard and door sill.

I'll get some pics as soon as I get it running good. Where are you Alredneck? I ame just a couple of miles west of Lebanon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks