• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 lift job

OL AG '89

WOW a 14" body lift!!!!
I'd love to see those pictures.
terryh can you post them?
Did you basically build a 2nd frame to support the body about the original frame rails?

Whitey

This looks realy big on british roads. It drives great though. Cost about £20,000, built from the chassis up. I put a 6.2l out of a m1009 in it. Yes OL AG '89 it has like a tie rod set up with rubber bushes from body to chassis. Not as beefy as my m1009 though.

All I have to say is, "Wow."

OL AG '89

I reconfirm the WOW!!!
that looks GREAT had also pictured a truck hanging out in midair with tires somewhere near the ground......
And I bet it looks HUGE on the British roads. I've spent time in europe and don't even come close to remembering a "lifted" 4x4 other than a Rover or Land Cruiser you got to scaring the mini's and jaguars to death while driving....LOL

jimmy-90

This looks realy big on british roads. It drives great though. Cost about £20,000, built from the chassis up. I put a 6.2l out of a m1009 in it. Yes OL AG '89 it has like a tie rod set up with rubber bushes from body to chassis. Not as beefy as my m1009 though.
If your info didn't say that you are from england I would have guessed you were from Florida based on that red truck. That's almost big enough to be in trucks gone wild ( a serries of videos of massive trucks that are almost completely unique to south Florida). Anyhow im guessing that you must not have to take your vehicles through an anual inspection over there where you are at lol. Do the police ticket you for driving those things on the street over there? And exactly what I suspected about the tires on that M1009. They are ground hawgs. I have a set of those on my civi blazer. They are definately considered old school tires over here.

Last edited:

TCUCV

Hey Hogg . . . great ride you have there. I'm thinking of doing the 4" Ruff country lift myself but with the shackle flip in the rear. I'm also trying to score some 37" hummer tires from a guy on Pirate4x4 but havn't heard from him. Did you get the 1 ton lift or a 3/4? Thanks

Let me know how it does wheelin' :mrgreen:

Hogg

Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback. TCUCV its a 3/4 ton lift, I thought it might have a little bit more of a forgiving ride than a 1 ton. It has a great ride that doesnt feel too much different than without it.... It does great off road, as it did before the lift

1redgmc

Has anyone had any issues with stock GM rear spring sag? I did and ended up with two options - replace rear springs or go with a set of 5 1/2" rear blocks. I chose the latter and it was PERFECT. Gave me just a little additional rear height (plus compensation for the sag) and it is PERFECTLY level when I tow. No more rear squat when the trailer is hooked up.

Also, if you are buying a "System" versus a "Kit" from some suspension manufacturers you should measure your rear spring length. The 3/4 and 1 ton rear springs are 56" long while I believe 1/2 tons are like 52"

I also highly recommend the lifted steering arm for anything lifted 4" or more as it takes a LOT of stress off the steering / drag link and makes alignment a lot easier.

Getting the old steering arm off can be a PITA if your (3) tapered washers don't want to come out.

Those who have done it will understand!

I also opted for the Skyjacker braided stainless (extended) brake lines and dual steering stabilizers. Makes it SOOOO much nicer to drive.

Y'all have some nice looking rigs and I really enjoy seeing them! Thanks!

1redgmc

I should note that the 5 1/2" rear blocks I picked up were used with a Skyjacker 4" suspension kit and I used them to replace the 4" rear blocks that came with the kit. The new rear blocks came with new/longer u-bolts.

Hogg

1redgmc, after I lifted mine, it still has a slight sag in the rear. I was thinking of buying some 6" blocks for the rear just as you did, but wasnt sure exactly how much it would take to get it leveled out... Thanks for the info, now I can get it exactly like I want it. Oh, and you are also right about getting the old steering arm off, took some MAJOR persuasion and a lot of Bud Light!!:beer:

Hogg

Would it help with the rear sag? It honestly doesnt ride too bad... guess I could do it while Ive got it back in the shop and torn apart... Something to think about. What exactly would make it ride better??

motormayhem

I have a 4" lift on mine with 36" tires. I love the combo it seems to be a great tire to lift ratio although there is some fender rub off road before trimming the fenders. But if you run that size tire the 10 bolt axles and 3.08 gears will kill themselves, also get a tranny cooler.

I have since replaced the hood. Its HIDEOUS!

Attachments

1redgmc

1redgmc, after I lifted mine, it still has a slight sag in the rear. I was thinking of buying some 6" blocks for the rear just as you did, but wasnt sure exactly how much it would take to get it leveled out... Thanks for the info, now I can get it exactly like I want it. Oh, and you are also right about getting the old steering arm off, took some MAJOR persuasion and a lot of Bud Light!!:beer:
I paid $50 for the Pro-Comp blocks. Found them online.

Easy...

Shackle flip is good too.

Pick your poison!

:grd:

1redgmc

I have a 4" lift on mine with 36" tires. I love the combo it seems to be a great tire to lift ratio although there is some fender rub off road before trimming the fenders. But if you run that size tire the 10 bolt axles and 3.08 gears will kill themselves, also get a tranny cooler.

I have since replaced the hood. Its HIDEOUS!
Tranny cooler for sure! I bought a Derale cooler for $65 and use it exclusively (eliminating the OEM cooler that is internal to the radiator). It runs - according to the trans temp gauge - at LEAST 50 degrees cooler this way. I guess not having to compete with engine coolant is the key.

Last edited:

MudderMilitia

i confirm that, i got a bds kit with rancho 9000 shocks since 10 jears.
i like the smooth ride with the lower spring rate. for my opinion i like more the 3" look. fits perfect to 35" & 36" tires.

4 more information about the spring rate see this:

Spring Rate Table

nice work hogg!
Love the truck! Does the camo netting pull back over the back of the truck?

Has anyone had any issues with stock GM rear spring sag? I did and ended up with two options - replace rear springs or go with a set of 5 1/2" rear blocks. I chose the latter and it was PERFECT. Gave me just a little additional rear height (plus compensation for the sag) and it is PERFECTLY level when I tow. No more rear squat when the trailer is hooked up.

Also, if you are buying a "System" versus a "Kit" from some suspension manufacturers you should measure your rear spring length. The 3/4 and 1 ton rear springs are 56" long while I believe 1/2 tons are like 52"

I also highly recommend the lifted steering arm for anything lifted 4" or more as it takes a LOT of stress off the steering / drag link and makes alignment a lot easier.

Getting the old steering arm off can be a PITA if your (3) tapered washers don't want to come out.

Those who have done it will understand!

I also opted for the Skyjacker braided stainless (extended) brake lines and dual steering stabilizers. Makes it SOOOO much nicer to drive.

Y'all have some nice looking rigs and I really enjoy seeing them! Thanks!
I have removed 3 steering arms over the years. One took the life of my sledge hammer handle while the most recent (the one off my M1009) literally knocked loose with 1 hit of a ball peen hammer. And to the guy with the body lift nightmares, how about some closeup pics of your body mounts?

MudderMilitia

Have any of you guys noticed if your front pass side springs sag? Mine seemed to sag from day 1 (I installed 4" Tuff country HD springs) I havn't measured but I would guess its close to an inch lower than the driver's side. I assume this is because of both batterys being on that side but it's just kind of annoying to me