• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Now onto the right passengers side door. P1000611.JPGP1000612.JPG P1000613.JPG P1000616.JPG I seen this cool little punch out still attached to the door on the inside. P1000617.JPGP1000618.JPG P1000619.JPG P1000620.JPG P1000621.JPG P1000622.JPG Over all I think this is a great door. I was offered $500. for these doors a few years back because they were the original paint and a guy had a complete original M1009 that was missing the doors. I did not want to part with them. That was before I had a title for it. Tempting at the time but glad I didn't. All the weather strips are scrap and the vent windows will get overhauled. The window regulators are bone dry. A little grease and oil will fix that when the time comes.

cucvrus

P1000623.JPGA few minor dents. This one had to happen in my barn. P1000625.JPG P1000624.JPG All the doors fasteners and the hardware is in a box for storage and cleaning before reassembly. P1000626.JPGThe doors are stored neatly away. Even have a blanket to stay warm. P1000627.JPG
My shop is all swept clean and the tools are put away. P1000628.JPG I was doing some stone carving again today with my chain saws. Didn't work out so well on the chain. Lately I have hit more steel and stone then I have in 40 years of cutting. Residential wood is loaded with surprises and it's free heat so I take it. Tomorrow is another day of great progress. I will work on what I decide at that time. I need to go get a few new chains for my saws. Take Care and Be Safe.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very good!! I took the wheel chain off as well...had to unbolt the seat though since I didn't have the key...or at least the correct one!! This rain is nuts...hopefully done soon.

cucvrus

Looks very good!! I took the wheel chain off as well...had to unbolt the seat though since I didn't have the key...or at least the correct one!! This rain is nuts...hopefully done soon.
Scrap is scrap. I just throw small scrap metals in a steel 5 gallon paint bucket and get paid for it at the scrap yard. I save every rusty fastener and every bolt I remove at the YOUPULLIT and in my shop. If I don't need it when I get home I sort thru them and keep what I want and scrap the rest. The retractable cable in the HMMWV is the ticket if you need to lock your steering wheel. I have the master key to that lock. Bring it up I will open it for you. Good Luck.

cucvrus

Keeping my word and honoring my own New Years resolution I returned to my shop and it was all clean and everything was put away. No looking for tools and missing sockets. The M1009 was ready for further improvements. P1000629 - Copy.JPG P1000630 - Copy.JPG After many years of always having scrap Plastic oil drain pans and tinny ones I had a friend make me one in exchange for some service work on his car. P1000631 - Copy.JPG Aluminum tread plate and very sturdy and light weight. My first goal is to have the transfer case out. P1000633 - Copy.JPG First thing I always do when draining or removing a transfer case is remove the skid plate. Gets it out of the way and makes draining the transfer case and access to the front drive shaft flange bolts much easier. P1000633.JPG P1000634 - Copy.JPG P1000635 - Copy.JPG P1000636.JPG P1000637.JPGNow that is drained and removed. I had that all resealed back in the day. Next out is the transmission.

cucvrus

It has been a while since I seen the transmission cooler lines all tucked up in place with both the original clamps holding them in place. I will do my best to retain that stock look. Most I see have splices and hose in place. P1000640 - Copy.JPG Now I am going to remove everything from the transmission P1000641 - Copy.JPG P1000642 - Copy.JPGI have all the bolts from the torque converter removed and I removed the starter and the starter heat shield along with the support bracket. P1000643 - Copy.JPG While I was under the truck removing the rear transmission spacer bolts with the impact I decided it was time to attempt the body mount bolt removal. I tightened them first and then rocked them back in and out. They came out. P1000644 - Copy.JPGP1000646 - Copy.JPG To meet the goal before lunch time I wanted the transmission pan off and draining while I came in the house for lunch. P1000645 - Copy.JPGI have everything neatly stowed on my cart. I used this cart several times it can hold the entire engine, transmission and transfer case and be wheeled around. P1000647 - Copy.JPG I strap things fast to it so I have no accidental parts and pieces falling off when I move it. Today my final goal is to have the transmission out on the floor. I will report back later. I did not see the VIN on the transmission block where I sometimes find it. Not always. Reaching up to the upper side I do think it has HD in the case. That was never a standard either. Maybe as an added extra I will remove all the body bolts today. I will be putting an Energy Suspension body mount kit on this project. Also all grade 8 bolts. Coming soon to this thread. Take Care. I hope you are getting things completed. Or just relaxing. This is how I relax.

cucvrus

After lunch it was only a matter of minutes and the transmission was out and on the jack. P1000648.JPGP1000649.JPGP1000650.JPGI done all this work alone and slowly so I could keep everything neat and safely remove the transmission. the wood blocks and small bottle jacks are my go to reliable helpers. With everything balanced and secured the transmission comes out like changing a tire. No forcing and prying. I did not find a VIN or the last 8 of the VIN and the case does not have the HD embossed in it. To me that means nothing. I went onto removing all the body mounts. They look so nice. P1000651.JPGP1000654.JPGP1000655.JPGP1000656.JPG The rear ones were the hardest. I had to lower the fuel tank and skid plate to remove the rear bracket. I remember searching the earth for a nice set of the rear brackets a few years back. They were right in the center bay all that time. Next I had to remove all the bushing sleeves from the rear and mid ship mounting bolts. That was easy. More progress next post. Thank you for the support. I hope this helps show you how its done. I do it on the barn floor with cordless tools. No lift here.

cucvrus

The mid ship carriage bolts are tack welded into the center of the floor inside the cab. P1000657.JPG P1000658.JPG P1000659.JPG This little cordless angle grinder makes childs play out of grinding small areas and with the Rolok abrasive pads it is the best tool from cleaning up surfaces of gaskets and prepping to put on a new gasket or sealer. I have several air powered but I am liking the cordless Milwaukee tools more and more. I used a pile of blocks to jack up the rear corners of the cab. P1000660.JPG. I have all the mounting bolts out and the lower parts of the mounts are all removed. The engine is blocked up in place an not just hanging by the moor mounts. P1000661.JPGP1000662.JPG I managed to sweep the entire shop and put all the tools away. P1000663.JPGI did some metal work on the roof and managed to get a few of the dents smaller. That is about as good as it gets without filler. P1000664.JPG I mean I fixed worse M1009's. 020.JPG
This piece here became this.
011 - Copy.JPG

cucvrus

After all that great progress yesterday I must move onto another short but deserving project. I have my Honda wood hauler I made from an old discarded Honda rider lawn mower. P1000546.JPG It has been binding every time I try and start it cold. I replaced the starter, battery and added an additional ground and new battery cables. And to show I am not a know it all I went on line and researched the issue. It is a simple valve adjustment. They are not tight enough and the automatic compression release is inoperable during cold start.

cucvrus

Not a totally wasted day but I was more involved in my Honda wood hauler project than I would like to be in wood burning season. P1000665.JPGI thought the valves needed adjusting I discovered they were slightly out of adjustment. I had last adjusted them in January 2016. I went on to checking how it starts and it still bound at the first attempt. HMMM. I looked at the starter and it was rebuilt in 2015. That was a lot of wood loads ago. Last but not least I pulled out my voltmeter. It was 12.28 about 60% charged. I already had the starter off and thought maybe a 28MT would fit. P1000669.JPG No luck different mount. I was digging thru my Honda parts and found some cool things non Honda or CUCV related. P1000666.JPGP1000667.JPGP1000668.JPG ( And NO that is NOT the TM opened on the saw horse in the back) But none the less a cool find in my barn. I was also gathering body parts for the M1009. I have the original gate . P1000670.JPGP1000671.JPGP1000672.JPGP1000673.JPGP1000674.JPG I already had it LineXed on the inside and the cover because I was going to use it on another project many years back. I may just opt to open a brand new GM box with a new M1009 tailgate in it and use it on this M1009. This M1009 is very nice and deserves a new gate. This used gate can well, go back in storage till another projects comes along. The plan is to spray the inside floors and cargo walls up to the rail in gray LineX. This completes another day of barn work at Cucvland. A customer calls my place that all the time when he comes for parts. I need to get a sign made up. HA. Have a Great Day. It is raining, cold and miserable here in Pennsylvania. Momma said there'd be days like this.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a totally wasted day but I was more involved in my Honda wood hauler project than I would like to be in wood burning season. View attachment 822561I thought the valves needed adjusting I discovered they were slightly out of adjustment. I had last adjusted them in January 2016. I went on to checking how it starts and it still bound at the first attempt. HMMM. I looked at the starter and it was rebuilt in 2015. That was a lot of wood loads ago. Last but not least I pulled out my voltmeter. It was 12.28 about 60% charged. I already had the starter off and thought maybe a 28MT would fit. View attachment 822562 No luck different mount. I was digging thru my Honda parts and found some cool things non Honda or CUCV related. View attachment 822564View attachment 822565View attachment 822566 ( And NO that is NOT the TM opened on the saw horse in the back) But none the less a cool find in my barn. I was also gathering body parts for the M1009. I have the original gate . View attachment 822567View attachment 822568View attachment 822569View attachment 822570View attachment 822571 I already had it LineXed on the inside and the cover because I was going to use it on another project many years back. I may just opt to open a brand new GM box with a new M1009 tailgate in it and use it on this M1009. This M1009 is very nice and deserves a new gate. This used gate can well, go back in storage till another projects comes along. The plan is to spray the inside floors and cargo walls up to the rail in gray LineX. This completes another day of barn work at Cucvland. A customer calls my place that all the time when he comes for parts. I need to get a sign made up. HA. Have a Great Day. It is raining, cold and miserable here in Pennsylvania. Momma said there'd be days like this.
That is a very nice tail gate!!

cucvrus

Tonight's goal had to be easy. I worked from 0500-1700 at my day job. I loaded the transmission and my Honda starter and took them to the rebuilders. P1000648.JPG P1000669.JPG That was not as easy as it sounds. I had a major oil spill from the torque converter sliding out. It wasn't in my Trail Boss so I didn't get too excited. Saw dust makes great absorbent. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

There will be no boredom here in my barn this weekend. I can always find stuff to do when the mail and parts arrive on time. The Energy Suspension body mounts have arrived and I didn't pay the shipping. Free is always good for shipping. P1000675.JPGP1000676.JPG I should have bought the RED at least you can see they were replaced. Now a few new grade 8 1/2 bolts and we are going to have fun. Take Care and enjoy the weekend.

dougco1

Today my progress will be thwarted a bit. I have mandatory work at my day job. All is well I will do my best to get things done.

Manchmal laufen die Dinge nicht wie geplant. Aber ich werde es wieder gut machen.

Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

Rick, You should buy the Tee Shirt:
1610210221510.png
Ich Werde Nicht Aufgeben Aber Ich Werde Die Ganze Zeit Fluchen
I'm not going to give up but I'm going to curse all the time

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 733970View attachment 733969Tonight I started Rad Riding Hood and took it up the road. It shifted thru all 3 gears and drove nice for 35 year old tires. I think it could use some fresh diesel fuel. I will have to can fill it. I don't think it is ready for a road trip to the filling station. Have a Great Day. My yard goblins were out tonight eating clover.
I’ve seen some pretty gnarly yard goblins. There’s skunks, badgers, prairie dogs, weasels and the occasional speed goat. What kind of critter is that?

cucvrus

Those are Ground Hogs. Speaking of Ground Hogs I feel like one after a day like today. Very dirty and tired. I will elaborate later but right up front. The M1009 project never happened today. I did manage to locate some awesome grade 8 1/2" flange bolts that will work perfect for the cab mounts. But that is about all. Take Care. I don't shoot any of the animals that live here. I just coexist.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are Ground Hogs. Speaking of Ground Hogs I feel like one after a day like today. Very dirty and tired. I will elaborate later but right up front. The M1009 project never happened today. I did manage to locate some awesome grade 8 1/2" flange bolts that will work perfect for the cab mounts. But that is about all. Take Care. I don't shoot any of the animals that live here. I just coexist.
Same here. They owned the land before I was here and they’ll own the land long after we as a species are turned into dust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks