• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

DSCF5122.jpgDSCF5123.jpgDSCF5124.jpgDSCF5125.jpgDSCF5126.jpgDSCF5127.jpgBeen a while since I started my hidden treasure. It is a 1984 M1009 with 12,674 miles on it. Been under cover stashed for 20 years. I cleaned it really well and removed everything so it did not sit with dirt and critters living in it. I have it since about 1996 I think. If I had it to over again I would have stored it as it was. It has original paint on the body and doors. I used the fenders and hood in preparation of just using new parts. I am in the process of putting batteries in it and moving it outside to gain access to a CUCV M1028 cab a member is coming for. No helpers today but with the help of my Kubota I should be able to pull this off. DSCF5128.jpgNew set of defect damaged batteries and I will post more later. Have a great day. Stay cool and dry. Still have a complete 4 inch lift kit for an M1009. Moving quickly.

cucvrus

That's the dust from about 20 CUCV's being painted and a lot of wood sanding that took place in the barn. I plan on washing it and covering it. It would be nicer when it was completed and rehomed. That is the goal.

nyoffroad

I'm not in the market just curios what is it worth as is compared to finished? I know the work involved in putting that back together and a proper paint job. When you sell them have you ever figured out your per hour profit or do you not want to know :) ?

cucvrus

I don't give RA about my per hour profit. I wonder if people think of the hours they waste sitting doing nothing, watching TV and ball games? Well this is my TV and the garage work is my ball game. I like to take things that have little value in the present condition and return them to something that someone else wants to buy and enjoy for many years to come. But I am picky about my process and try and stay to the original floor plan to retain the value that the higher paying buyers are looking for. Sure I could slap together a POS and think I have a great valuable piece. But I see that all the time. I prefer to be different and do it the right way. So my time is money and I try to spend it wisely. And the word work is used as a dirty word many times. I think of it as a hobby and let it go from there. But with only 3 more to go. I am looking forward to the end. I have new horizons and goals. Have a Great Day.

nyoffroad

I used to love working on cars and trucks, did that for many many years and was happy. Then I went back to work for a shop that I had worked at years before, my oh my, how things had changed! No longer was it a small quality oriented shop, I should've bailed right then but NOOO not me I stuck it out for 5 years and hated every day and the people I worked with finally left 15 years ago and just now getting back into cars. I have my own version of "red riding hood", it's all been down to the frame and back up. Some day I'll start on it again, funny thing is the 'brand new' batteries in it are 10-12 years old now. :)

cucvrus

DSCF5162.jpgDSCF5163.jpgDSCF5166.jpgDSCF5165.jpgToday I got the lead out and put the batteries in Little Rad Riding Hood. It glowed and fired right up. I put it in reverse and backed it out of the barn into the barn yard. The chickens ran and the rooster crowed and when the dust cleared there she sat idling away.DSCF5167.jpgDSCF5168.jpgDSCF5169.jpgDSCF5170.jpgIt still has the original paint on it. I did remove the antenna brackets and filled the holes. It has the original exhaust and looks great. The original tires not so great. DSCF5172.jpgDSCF5171.jpg I used the fenders on another project about 20 years ago. I also have a brand new GM rear gate for it. Have a Great Day. I would like it done and in someone else's drive way. Hint.

cucvrus

DSCF5202.jpgDSCF5201.jpgTonight I started Rad Riding Hood and took it up the road. It shifted thru all 3 gears and drove nice for 35 year old tires. I think it could use some fresh diesel fuel. I will have to can fill it. I don't think it is ready for a road trip to the filling station. Have a Great Day. My yard goblins were out tonight eating clover.

cucvrus

I contacted a company a few weeks back that deals in obsolete vehicle parts. He was looking at my new GM sheet metal parts that I have in boxes. This was the E mail he sent me today. These are the Genuine GM parts with part numbers.
[FONT=Tahoma,Bold][FONT=Tahoma,Bold]Line Description Part Number Quantity Extended Price
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Bold][FONT=Tahoma,Bold][/FONT][/FONT]1 HOOD
2 Hood 15629509 1 671.86
3 FENDER
4 RT Fender 15634642 1 290.02
6 LT Fender 15614467 1 303.93
8 PICK UP BOX
9 RT Side panel 8 foot w/o dual rear wheels w/o aux tank 15628618 1 837.48
11 Floor 8 foot bed 15628611 1 718.70
12 Tail gate Chevrolet 15628608 1 442.85
14 FRONT DOOR
15 RT Door shell 15571644 1 756.79
17 LT Door shell 15571643 1 739.79
This is M1009 parts

1 TAIL GATE
2 Gate assy 15614462 1 507.85
3 QUARTER PANEL
4 RT Panel 15619920 1 657.53
6 LT Panel 15619919 1 628.00

Anybody that has the new genuine sheet metal. I hope this helps you out. It sure did me. My friends called in hoarding. I called it my investment.

fitz

Times have changed.
I remember when I started playing around with K5 Blazers in the early 90's.
You could buy anything you needed at your local Chevy dealer. My memory may be off by a few $$, but if I remember correctly my local dealer prices were:
Tailgates $98
Doors $85
Front fenders $75
Front fenders wells $18.
I think back then you could replace all of the sheet metal on a k5 for about $1,000.
Of course it was also easier to find clean rust free trucks 25 years ago.

cucvrus

Yea Of course it was also easier to find clean rust free trucks 25 years ago.
Yea they were 25 years newer. The road chemicals are killing the all the vehicles here in the north east. I never seen trucks/vehicles so rusty in a few years. And it is not brand specific. They all rust bad. And quickly. 10 year old trucks with the frames rusted thru and cab mounts gone. They are running without rocker panels and cab corners. Scary buying used vehicles these days. Between the electronics and the rust I don't know which is worse. Buy them keep them till the warranty is ready to expire and sell it. Been working for a while here. Have a Great Day. Enjoy the heat and sunshine.

cucvrus

DSCF5214.jpgDSCF5215.jpgDSCF5213.jpgDSCF5210.jpgDSCF5212.jpgDSCF5211.jpgToday I washed the M1009 little Rad Riding hood for the first time in many years. It looks great. Easy fix. Getting it ready for auction. Or Not. May just go back in the barn and set 20 more years. That original paint looks really good now 20 years later after sitting in a dry dark barn. I sanded the rockers and looked at them closely back in the day. I made sure they had paint/primer on them. They were a bit blasted from stones. The core support is all in great shape as is the engine compartment. Easy fix. I may have to do something with it. Have a Great Day. More later.

cucvrus

DSCF5216.jpgDSCF5220.jpgDSCF5219.jpgDSCF5217.jpgDSCF5218.jpgClearing out the hooch for Little Rad Riding Hood today after work. Moving right along. Clearing out the barn. DSCF5221.jpgAlso my stash of powder coated bumper brackets, braces and spare tire carrier. Dusty but like new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks