• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Why you do not like foil backed insulation?
I don't like it because it looks out of place. I don't like the one in the video either. I want one that was made to fit and not a generic cut to fit one. I guess I may just go with the bare firewall since it is clean and freshly painted with CARC. I will deprive the mice of any place to chew and nest. I had several of my CUCV's with no insulation and all was well even in the northeast winter weather. I will ponder a few days and go from there. If anyone knows an accurate direct fit cover, I would be interested. A piece of rubber backed black carpeting runner strip, or a rubber mat would also work. But cutting it and getting it to fit to my satisfaction will be the issue.

cucvrus

Tonight after work I went in the barn and looked at my M1009 bare firewall. I think it looks great painted and I think I am going to just let it like it is. You will hardly see any of it when the truck is back together and where this vehicle will spend the rest of its life it will sit a lot and be seldom driven. It don”t need a rats nest or a place to collect moisture and just rot again. IMG_0231.jpegIMG_0230.jpeg
I installed the lower grille filler panel. IMG_0232.jpeg
I also searched high and low for the tin cap that snaps on the inside of the cab to conseal the top hinge bolt that comes out and attached the top hinge top bolt from inside the cab. 1/2 hour search thru bolt containers and I found one along with other treasures I will need. After I was done with that I came in and finished cleaning the wiring harness. IMG_0234.jpeg
That’s about enough for 1 night. I must remove s passengers side rear glass from an M1009 top for a member here. Take Care and Be Safe.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That firewall does look awesome!! I haven't seen a non ac factory style heat sound matt for a long time. If you want the heat and sound reduction the lizard skin I've been using works great. You can paint it back to the green and not really know it was done. I know you're going for the factory stock though but thought I'd throw it out there. I also know a guy that has stock harnesses with the glow plug card if you want a new one. He's kinda eclectic surplus guy but I could get it and bring it up to ya.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I spent some time sanding and cleaning the Ebrake pedal assembly and gave it a few coats of matte black. Also cleaned a set of 4 grille trim retainers and painted them. Then just when I was about to say I am done I went the extra and painted the core support on the top surface. I washed it with DX430 and it looked a little tired so I gave it a fresh coat of matte black. I must clean and paint the brake pedal assembly and the wiper transmission. The steering wheel is the worse thing. Something about old steering wheels getting funky. More later. Be Safe. IMG_0240.jpegIMG_0239.jpeg

cucvrus

After work today I worked on my M1009 project. Every part I can attach and get out of my center barn bay is a step in the right direction. From the first CUCV’s I ever seen 40 years ago I always liked the attention to the detail. The green moldings in contrast to the camouflage paint of the body. I know it was intentional and easier for GM to get green moldings made. I always liked that fine detail of the green grille and bumpers. IMG_0245.jpeg IMG_0246.jpeg IMG_0243.jpeg
I have some black anodized aluminum rivets from many projects ago but they still make nice replacements for the plastic rivets in the fender emblem holes. I could have welded them holes shut but I like that detail also . I think I done enough for 1 day. This is how it gets done. 1 piece at a time. I have a new B/O drive lamp but think I will retain the OEM one and just put an 1156 LED bulb in the socket. Slave cable cover I guess looks OK as it is the OEM one from 40 years ago. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0244.jpeg

cucvrus

Last night when I went into the house, I was looking for some lights for an M1102 trailer. I knew I had some in a tote in the basement and I found them along with a new set of Sylvania halogen headlamps in the headlamp buckets. I knew I have them. They were a set I still had from 1984 when doing a fleet of PennDot trucks. I am not sure how that worked but the trucks that came from GM did not have Halogen head lamps. I sort of remember that it was not an option in 1984 and we just went around and changed the headlamps. We changed headlamp buckets and all. They were GM parts, and I had the option of keeping the old headlamps and after the fleet was over, I had several complete halogens. One day I am going to purge my parts. Then again maybe not. I find them in every nook and cranny. I found a bag in the barn with a few new parts I forgot I had and needed in the past. 1 bag had the oil cooler line bracket that bolts the oil cooler lines to the fan shroud on the driver's side. I was fabbing them a few years back and I restored one I found a few years back also. I am going to rehome that restored bracket onto the Wild Weasel. That way my restoration was not in vainDSCF4993True battle wagon.jpg. Take Care and Be Safe. Enjoy the Day.

Sezzo

After work today I worked on my M1009 project. Every part I can attach and get out of my center barn bay is a step in the right direction. From the first CUCV’s I ever seen 40 years ago I always liked the attention to the detail. The green moldings in contrast to the camouflage paint of the body. I know it was intentional and easier for GM to get green moldings made. I always liked that fine detail of the green grille and bumpers. View attachment 908530 View attachment 908531 View attachment 908532
I have some black anodized aluminum rivets from many projects ago but they still make nice replacements for the plastic rivets in the fender emblem holes. I could have welded them holes shut but I like that detail also . I think I done enough for 1 day. This is how it gets done. 1 piece at a time. I have a new B/O drive lamp but think I will retain the OEM one and just put an 1156 LED bulb in the socket. Slave cable cover I guess looks OK as it is the OEM one from 40 years ago. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. View attachment 908533 View attachment 908529
Looks great. Not many know that the bumpers and the grille was originally painted in green and not in three color camouflage. I myself didn’t know that. Did you think about adding authentic markings on the front bumper and tailgate? We thought about that already because you know where this M1009 was in service a long time ago. Take care.

cucvrus

The numbers and vehicle markings are a personal touch that the owner adds at his choice. I prefer the clean unmarked look without any of the attachments or markings. If I put the numbers on and don't like them, I am stuck with them. I have bumpers already painted in CARC green for this unit and never bothered to record the numbers and markings that were on the bumpers and besides they were slopped over with yellow paint if I remember correctly. That was many tears and many CUCV's ago. I do know it was a 28th Infantry Division vehicle. Now I must search out the B pillar nomenclature. I remember that was astray before. I think I recall where it is. If I can only remember. I put it somewhere, so I knew where it was and now, I forgot. Did you ever do that. I think it is with the title in the lock box. I painted the dash VIN tag and the Black out switch area of the dash matte black. Take Care and Be Safe. jeep-28th-infantry-division.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

You are never off topic. You are a friend and you may ask anything on my thread. But on your question that is just an ink pad stamp from the New Process company or a code where the casting was made. Many numbers and codes are stamped on parts and other components. Like I mentioned in the past I have seen many CUCV’s without the HD embossed in the transmission case. They were still the same HD case. Take Care. I am out playing in the barn yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks