• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 mis-assembled lockouts

2deuce

I took out the screws holding it on and the spring was on the wrong side of the sliding gear. The hubs were locked all the time no matter which way the selector was turned. Now I'm not sure the gear was on the right way either. Can anybody tell me which way it goes.

Thanks

nap159

my hubs were all screwed up also. apparently the military has a lot of time to replace parts regardless of how things should go together. the spring should hold the locking collar out. when the hubs are locked the spring should compress the sliding collar onto the spine of the axle.

2deuce

The spring was assembled wrong, so the collar could have been too. I'm unsure how the collar should go on. The collar is built with a space on the I.D. should that space be in or out?

Thanks

2deuce

I figured out that the collar was on backwards also. That is in addition to having the spring on wrong so that the front axle was always locked no matter how the selector was turned on the hub. Both sides were the same. This truck came from GL, this was done by the military. It would be very easy to assume that when you turn your hubs to free they are freewheeling. That may not be the case, they obviously wanted this truck always in 4WD. If your mileage seems down it probably would be good to check out your front hubs. They could be in full-time lock like mine. I think I have a wheel bearing going out too. I have to dig deeper.