• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 motor mounts

2deuce

I have read a lot about motor mounts after ordering the wrong ones and find that most say that the ones that fit are also the same as a 1983 350v8 gas motor mount. What I want to do is get the energy suspension inserts. The problem is I have to order them so I need to know if the 350 gas mount was always used as there is a ? about that on some threads. I have a 1986 m1009.

Thanks

Last edited:

Barrman

I put the energy suspension inserts on my Cowdog project truck. The motor doesn't move, but I an feel a lot more vibrations inside the truck than any of my other 6.2 powered vehicles.

My suggestion is to get the factory replacements. They should be good for another 30 years or so.

I don't remember the part number for the ones I got. I know I posted it in the long running thread about the truck though.

Barrman

Yes on the ORD cross member and mounts. I should have gone that way on my truck. Ease of changing the lift pump if nothing else. Rich has that on his truck and it looks so much more mechanic and vehicle friendly than the stock on.

2deuce

Thanks for the ORD thought, but I'm not going to lift my truck, so I couldn't use the crossmember. The motor mounts are also $170 and urethane so they will vibrate more. I thought I would try the energy suspension inserts, but need to know which motor mount is under there, so I can order the right ones. My truck vibrates a lot right now. It really shakes accelerating between 35 and 45mph. It doesn't shake at idle or reving it in park. I've balanced the driveline and put on new wheels/tires. I thought I'd change motor mounts next, and then the balancer next if the mounts don't solve it. I also heard that stock replacement mounts are now made in china and some only last days.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have bought dozens of the Energy Suspension motor mount inserts but the part number escapes me at the moment. They work well and are very easy to install. I posted the numbers on this site several times. Searchers???

Chaski

Summit Racing Part
Summit Racing ENS-3-1116G or SUM-7731116

I run the Summit house ones and like them. Rick had posted a bunch about the poly mount inserts and I finally put a pair in. Wish I would have done it a couple years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prospect62

I have bought dozens of the Energy Suspension motor mount inserts but the part number escapes me at the moment. They work well and are very easy to install. I posted the numbers on this site several times. Searchers???
Sorry I know this is old, but I was researching a lift pump area leak and it lead me here. I had a leak coming from my lift pump, which really appeared to me to be coming from the rubber line and not the pump itself, because when I tightened the hose clamp and moved the hose a little, the leak stopped completely.

Research of this lead me to a post of yours that indicated that a motor mount issue lead to the motor creeping down and pinching your rubber fuel line. On my truck, the rubber line is VERY close to the crossmember (like making constant contact with it - that close) which leads me to believe that my motor mounts have failed and cause the engine to drop down.

My question is how do you like these Energy Suspension mounts over a stock replacement? Do you think that'll solve this issue?

How big a job is removing and reinstalling the motor mounts on these rigs with the motor still in the truck?

Again sorry for resurrecting an old post but it was super relevant to what I'm dealing with.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I know this is old, but I was researching a lift pump area leak and it lead me here. I had a leak coming from my lift pump, which really appeared to me to be coming from the rubber line and not the pump itself, because when I tightened the hose clamp and moved the hose a little, the leak stopped completely.

Research of this lead me to a post of yours that indicated that a motor mount issue lead to the motor creeping down and pinching your rubber fuel line. On my truck, the rubber line is VERY close to the crossmember (like making constant contact with it - that close) which leads me to believe that my motor mounts have failed and cause the engine to drop down.

My question is how do you like these Energy Suspension mounts over a stock replacement? Do you think that'll solve this issue?

How big a job is removing and reinstalling the motor mounts on these rigs with the motor still in the truck?

Again sorry for resurrecting an old post but it was super relevant to what I'm dealing with.
I purchased the autozone 1983 chevy 350 motor mounts. It took about an hour per side to replace. I work slow. I used a jack under the oil pan with a short piece of 2x6 and some rubber cushion in between.

This fixed my clearance issue. Good luck.

Prospect62

This fixed my clearance issue. Good luck.
Were you having a similar issue with the fuel line rubbing?

I've heard parts store replacement motor mounts just aren't up to the task these days, being cheaply made offshore and all.

Also I'm assuming this would be a good time to just replace the lift pump anyway with the engine jacked up a bit. Guess I'll do everything at once. Anybody know off-hand what diameter and how long that rubber line to the lift pump is?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've heard parts store replacement motor mounts just aren't up to the task these days, being cheaply made offshore and all.

Also I'm assuming this would be a good time to just replace the lift pump anyway with the engine jacked up a bit. Guess I'll do everything at once. Anybody know off-hand what diameter and how long that rubber line to the lift pump is?
Yes, my fuel line was leaking because it was making contact with the crossmember. I don't have any issues with the Autozone mounts. They are warrantied forever I guess in 30 years I may have to replace them again. Hopefully Autozone is still in business.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

1970-1982 corvette S flex hose at amazon or try #353248 by corvette central

Prospect62

energy suspension #31152g check them out I think they are correct.
Apparently the proper Energy Suspension part number is 3.1116 which are the gas engine mounts, but which were used in CUCV's for some reason. Summit makes a very good knock off of these for $20/each. I'm gonna give 'em a whirl.

And thanks for the tip on the rubber line, will need to replace that for good measure, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks