• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 needing a new engine?

cowboywitek

A quick question about this trick of pouring transmission oil in the intake, how much do you put in it? I wanna try and get it started and drive home rather than trailering it. thanks again.

Keith_J

A quick question about this trick of pouring transmission oil in the intake, how much do you put in it? I wanna try and get it started and drive home rather than trailering it. thanks again.
CAREFUL!!! Any oil can cause a run-away diesel!! It is FUEL, without regulation. It is best done with all glowplugs but the one in the cylinder being tested OUT. It can free compression rings if they are somewhat stuck.

The only way to stop a run-away diesel is by blocking the intake air.

Skinny

I would be pressure testing the cooling system (and reading the gauge while it's running) to verify HG integrity along with putting a bore scope down the bad cylinder. I would assume you would see something abnormal in the cylinder wall or piston top compared to the rest of the cylinders. Either way, I would hesitate to drop $6k on an engine replacement as one, you will never see that money again and two, that is 6.5 turbo or borderline Cummins swap territory which are better options for the money.

rsh4364

Man ,sorry for your bad experience with your 1009.If you part it out you may recoup more $.As it sits the trailer is pretty much worth more than the truck,realistically.But you have a lot of sellable parts on truck.

Last edited:

donalloy1

What a sad story cowboywitek! To bad you had to come to this conclusion. It would kill me to unload mine. Hand in there man! DMLII sends

painter paul

Wondering if its low compression from lots and lots of no start cranking and lots of ether or some other home remedy to try to get it to fire. I would most definetly add some oil to the cylinders and do another compression check. Not too much oil tho. Might be a very cheap fix. Diesels that are sucking air can take a very long time cranking before they fire. Thanks, Paul

cowboywitek

yeah its been a rough experience, I'm finding out that these military vehicles are really meant to be fixed in the garage rather than the mechanic shop.. regardless, I'm working with a fellow steel soldier to get a used engine. I have no idea about mechanic work, but I think I'm going to attempt an engine swap (fingers crossed). I just cant afford mechanic bills anymore, just gotta read the manual and figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks