• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Needs new radiator

DanzboysM1009

Well, after months of limping along, I think the radiator has just about had it. Guy I got it of said that it needed a new radiator, but that turned out to be bad hoses. I've been driving it more and more and the other day while I had it running it was just gushing fluid from somewhere underneath. So as I prepare for the necessary repairs I need a new radiator, does anyone know a good source for a radiator? I have a 1985 M1009 with the stock 6.2, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also, if there's anyone that knows a mechanic in the Suffolk/ Portsmouth, VA area that could do it quick and minimize downtime, I'd appreciate it too.

LCDR Dan

kapnklug

Got my new radiator from Rock Auto, can't recall the part number but get the one with the maximum number of plates in the tranny cooler and engine oil cooler. It was about $250 with shipping

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after months of limping along, I think the radiator has just about had it. Guy I got it of said that it needed a new radiator, but that turned out to be bad hoses. I've been driving it more and more and the other day while I had it running it was just gushing fluid from somewhere underneath. So as I prepare for the necessary repairs I need a new radiator, does anyone know a good source for a radiator? I have a 1985 M1009 with the stock 6.2, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also, if there's anyone that knows a mechanic in the Suffolk/ Portsmouth, VA area that could do it quick and minimize downtime, I'd appreciate it too.

LCDR Dan
Best bet=local radiator shop. Get reccomendations from guys you know in the area for who does good work. Anything you buy online is questionable (unless it cost an arm & a leg) and what are you going to do if after a few weeks your "brand new" radiator springs a leak? Pull it and ship it back to he vendor?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine from the local NAPA store. Seems to me it was around $400.
Fit well and I changed it out in about 2 hours.
Replaced the hoses and thermostat at the same time.
Karl

truck1

Mine is @ the radiator shop now.New core is 750.00$.Core is made locally by US workers of the OEM materials.No foreign aluminum core.Pricey,but I want peace of mind.That radiator in the 1028 is one of the biggest GM put in a truck of that GVW class.I could of had it repaired,but I don't like cooling system breakdowns.That price also includes new hoses and thermostat.I really like this truck and to me it's a keeper so it is what it is.:-|

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is @ the radiator shop now.New core is 750.00$.Core is made locally by US workers of the OEM materials.No foreign aluminum core.Pricey,but I want peace of mind.That radiator in the 1028 is one of the biggest GM put in a truck of that GVW class.I could of had it repaired,but I don't like cooling system breakdowns.That price also includes new hoses and thermostat.I really like this truck and to me it's a keeper so it is what it is.:-|

Hey, I'm with ya' on that "don't like... breakdowns..."

My civi GMC C3500 w/BB radiator was re-cored for around $400 and I did the R&R myself, plus new GM water punp, plus new Hi-Miler Goodyear hoses and belts and AC-Delco fan thermostat---- kah-$HING! Bet I was well into $800 total.

Meanwhile... whatever you do, and I'm not yelling here just need to make an important point--- DON'T PUT THAT ORANGE DEXCOOL STUFF INTO YOUR OLDER MODEL COOLING SYSTEMS. Take it from my experience, that stuff is for newer type, closed cooling systems and if used in older trucks like our CUCV'S it will make and incredible mess of your system. I know this because I made that mistake!fat lady sings

richter1978

Dave, Just curious, what you mean by make a mess of your cooling system. I put dexcool in with a new radiator and water pump. Maybe 1500 miles since I did the work. Hope I haven't screwed things up. '85 m1028

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't totally flush the old green stuff out, the system fills with a nasty grey goo that is almost impossible to get out.
I would never put that orange crap in my stuff. It eats rubber and nothing mixes with it so if there are issues on the road, you are tattoed.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, Just curious, what you mean by make a mess of your cooling system. I put dexcool in with a new radiator and water pump. Maybe 1500 miles since I did the work. Hope I haven't screwed things up. '85 m1028

Will is right; Dexcool doesn't mix well with anything. Before changing over to it, your cooling system needs to be flushed & cleaned like factory new--- and I'm not even sure THAT will prevent problems. Otherwise Dexcool turns itself into mud. Not trying to scare you unnecessarily, but I'll tell you my sad tale and hope you can prevent the same from happening to your cooling system.

Here's a LINK you should read first which gives you some idea what you can do to hopefully avoid typical Dexcool problems.

Jan '09 I re-did the entire cooling sys on a recently acquired 1986 GMC C3500 small block. This truck was once owned by San Diego hillbillies and practically everything mechanical on it was either basket-case or botched up. Not sparing any expense, I installed a NEW GM water pump, new fan and clutch, new thermostat, new radiator cap, re-cored a BBC radiator, had to find a stock BBC fan shroud, put all new drive belts and all new Goodyear Hi-miler hoses. Flushed and back-flushed the system a few times with the usual stuff you get at NAPA which is really only citrus concentrate--- no kidding--- that's all it is. Then I was thinking, gee, maybe I'll use this Dexcool because it's supposed to be good for 100k miles... not knowing any better--- I was a babe-in-the-woods.

About 2 years and LESS THAN 8000 miles later I was preparing for a few Vegas runs when I open the cap and here's what my once pristine cooling system looked like::shock:

Attachments

richter1978

O.K., so how do I remedy this? Drain system, flush w/water or flush product? Thanks for the info, do not want to ruin this truck! I also was reading somewhere that dexcool might eat my head gasket? By the way, I've got the dexcool approved Prestone coolant, it's not actual GM dexcool, don't know if thats better or worse.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K., so how do I remedy this? Drain system, flush w/water or flush product? Thanks for the info, do not want to ruin this truck! I also was reading somewhere that dexcool might eat my head gasket? By the way, I've got the dexcool approved Prestone coolant, it's not actual GM dexcool, don't know if thats better or worse.
1. Don't know about eating of head gaskets as a specific Dexcool problem, can't imagine why it would destroy only head gasket maeterial. After all, there are much more easily corroded parts like rubber hoses, et., al., that are not affected by Dexcool.

2. I believe that Dexcool is Dexcool is Dexcool, no matter who makes it. Mine was purchased from NAPA.

3. "...how do I remedy this?" Don't panic and try flushing it out before you know what's what. Regular citrus based radiator flush (like you get at NAPA) WILL NOT clean out Dexcool sufficiently to change back to the green stuff. There is a procedure that supposedly removes all traces of Dexcool from cooling systems but it is a long, drawn out, whole day process, using nasty chemicals and neutralizers, where you must keep cooling sys at certain temp for specific time, purg all air pockets, then re-flush again and replace ALL hoses, caps, thermostats, WITH BRAND NEW parts.

This is the official, recommended, GM dealer procedure which I did--- it was a PITA, and even after successfully completing this procedure and changing back to green stuff, my trucks cooling sys is beginning to gum-up again but nowhere near as bad. Looks like I'll need to do another flush and maybe try another chemical agent.

Some guys have reccomended using powdered dishwasher soap. like you use in the machine, and run it for several days, then flush and refill. Has anybody else tried this? If so, what ratio/mixture would I use?

Don't get overly worried here. Read this LINK over a few more times. It gives specific things that can be done to maintain Dexcool in your vehicle with minimal problems. Follow that carefully--- something I didn't do--- and you may have no Dexcool issues at all. Not guaranteeing anything, but in fact some guys swear by the stuff and they use it in 1990's model vehicles without any problems. Recommend you keep your eyes on the overflow bottle and it's contents. If that starts looking cloudy and funny colored, that will give an early clue before the problem gets bad, like it did for me.

If worse comes to worse, you will just have to flush and re-flush your cooling sys a few times--- like I'm having to do.aua

richter1978

Thanks for the link and the info. I'll get to work on a proper flush. As for the original post, I believe I used a Rad Ready from Advanced. About $400 and I had to sand tranny cooler fittings to fit.

topgun217

Anybody have part numbers for the radiators? I need a new radiator for the M1009. Two/three core? I do know the one in there now is a 4 core but I dont tow anything; I'm also going to stay with the brass not the cheap plastic crap. I went to local NAPA and an O'Reillys and both looked at me strange. Summit racing says they have what I need and the price is right, so has anyone ever got a radiator from Summit?

DanzboysM1009

I got mine from AutoZone, they had to order it, but got it in a few days, it was $320. It is a direct replacement with the integrated oil and tranny coolers. It went right in, everything bolted right up, runs great, zero problems. Let me know if you need anymore help.

LCDR Dan

topgun217

Thanks DanzboysM1009. The part number should help them better in ordering it. When I got the front shocks for mine last week, they sold me the wrong ones, they gave me the shocks for the duel set upaua they even asked me if it had duel front shocks and I told them "no".

As for the Cascade........never ever heard of that one. I guess it does say removes calceum build up.....I'd be careful about using it though.

Regarding the use of DEXCOOL....DON"T USE IT ! I have a close friendwho is a GM mechanic at a local dealership. According to him the formula was changed after there were law suits filed. It did eat the head gaskets in many vehicles that GM used it in. At his dealership, after they flush anyones radiator the use the Prestone 50/50 which is what I use the M1009 anyway.