• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Newbie

Hows it going guys? I am/will be purchasing an 86 m1009 this weekend. I know the basics of the K5 blazer, but the military spec m1009 is new to my world. The guy I am buying it from has 6 of them at his house. (he buys them at the govliquidation auctions and fixes them up, and re-sells them). Anyway, the CUCV im looking at has already been gone through and by his definition, "roadworthy". He has taken all of the interior out and sanded, primed and painted the whole cab, put sound insulation on the walls and roof, and painted the exterior desert tan. He replaced all of the fluids and tires. My question to you all is this- What areas/things do I need to look for when I see the truck? What are the rust prone areas to watch out for? He claims there is no rust (only minor surface rust on the undercarriage). If it were you going to see this truck, what would YOU check for?

Lastly, IF i do wind up with this machine, I am going with a 2 inch rough country lift with 33/12.5/15 Firestone destination M/Ts. I've done some looking on the forum and really like the look of a 2 inch lift with 33s! I plan on it being a daily driver with an occasional trip to the North GA mountains to go wheelin', so i don't want anything too jacked up with huge tires. Just enough to make it look clean. With a 2 inch lift, do I need a transfer case drop? WIth my old jeep anything over 2 inches you would need a TC drop, but 2 inches and under you would be fine. Would i need one? Thanks in advance guys and gals.

*Edit* Im going to try and post some pics the guy sent me of it. Im sorry if they are too big!

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will have electrical issues.

That is the main problem you will see addressed on this forum with the CUCV's.

That is not to say that it is a bad vehicle...just that it comes with it's own set of grimlins.

The good news is that most of them have been addressed here and you can find solutions.

I drove them in the Army and my tolerance for them has never increased.

That is why I am committed (or should be) to the deuce.

dstang97

That thing looks pretty nice. The best tip I could give you is to make sure its rust free. Rust never goes away. If it runs, drives and stops that looks like a good truck. How much are you paying for it?

combatmech

What on earth is that on the ceiling of the truck?? Some kind of carpet?? Over all good looking truck. Doesnt look like it has any serious rust issues.

That thing looks pretty nice. The best tip I could give you is to make sure its rust free. Rust never goes away. If it runs, drives and stops that looks like a good truck. How much are you paying for it?
he wanted 3300$ for it but after talking and reasoning with him i got it down to 2600$ which isnt a whole lot more then what ive seen at the govliquidation auctions. I bid on a couple but i thought about it and didnt want to wait 90+ days on my EUC being approved. I just totaled my jeep 2 weeks ago and theres a void in my life now. I need/want something to drive daily, but still work on and modify for the better. I have already got the parts list and the thread printed for the doghead relay mod. Thats the first thing to do. the second thing is delco 60g plugs. The Army unit that had this modified it so fit the m1028A1 air conditioning system would work on this m1009. THe current owner says the lines at the condensor are dry rotted and wouldnt hold a vaccum for more then 10 minutes. Ive got some detector die i can put in the system and find the culprit, and then can convert it R134 easy enough. The guy has already eliminated the plug controller and installed a push button plug switch. Ive been on Abrams tanks for 5 years now, so if it's basic electrical gremlins that are common i should be able to pull out my trusty multimeter and get started. Lord knows those **** A2seps have their electircal issues! If I cant fix it, I have you guys on here for advice/guidance.

As far as that stuff on the ceiling, it's sound insulation. He said it helps a little bit? Im not to concerned with it though. A diesel is a diesel. A 25 year old diesel is loud. A 25 year old ARMY diesel is beat the heck up and even louder. Not worried about the sound.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Cucvnut

No you never never ever ever do a T case drop always get your drive shafts lenghted but with a 2 inch lift you will be fine. just change your brake likes.

PS Sweet M1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks