• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 no power suddenly

PAm1009

Good evening I know this has been covered MANY MANY times but I am in need of help. My 1009 is my DD went to start it after work today and all I get is click click click then goes to dead I repeated that operation agian. The resistor bypass is done, new batteries.. After the second time trying to turn the key over I saw a little puff of smoke from the rear battery then everything DEAD no headlights, blower motor nothing at all. I didn't have time to check fuses or get a multimeter out as I'm leaving for my second job. Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it! I'm in a real bind and also don't have access to a PC.. Hoping its simple I.e fusible link

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a bad cable or battery connetction?

Barrman

Start with the basics. Make sure both batteries are fully charged and load tested. Just because they are new doesn't mean they are good. Remove all 4 cables and clean them. Along with the battery terminals. Then see what you get.

It reads like your front battery is low or dead and your back battery terminal is dirty, arced and now won't conduct anything.

PAm1009

Thank you for your feedback.. The cables do look old and nasty.. There's a bundle of fusible links behind the rear battery is it noticeable to see a burnt fusible link they seem to look alright by eye? Thank you again

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say about 1/2 the time, it is noticeably visible when a fusible link is burnt/bad.

MarcusOReallyus

Fusible links can burn without showing any sign. Sometimes they look fried, other times, not. A meter or test light is needed.

I feel for you. Been there, done that. :(

Clean things up as best you can and try again, but if it won't start, there's no way around some troubleshooting here.

PAm1009

Thanks guys. I bought new cables and connectors and will see if I can a battery load tester from my mechanic. I'm hoping your right barrman that's what it seems to me there is a couple little molten specs looks like solder on the rear + terminal

PAm1009

Did some poking around this morning couldn't get the load tester by looking at the batteries they do say 6/11. I get 12.5 volts from both front and rear battery and 13 volts to the bus bar. Maybe thinking its the batteries that took a crap image.jpgI know the picture is at a weird angle but you can see a molten drip from terminal to battery

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you have a bad connection/terminal.

fwiw, I never use those generic, bolt/plate type terminals unless it's an emergency, and then only temporarily.

Premade, or crimp or solder, or better yet both, only for me.

There is another type that you tighten a compression nut, also.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I'm with doghead - lose that garbage terminal! Those things are emergency use only.

Take a look at your picture again. See the red arrow? That's pointing to a place where there's been arcing. Whatever else might be a problem, this terminal is DEFINITELY a problem, so start by replacing it. At least take it completely apart and clean it up.

Now, see the yellow arrow? You've got corrosion creeping into your cable there. That's one of the problems with this kind of battery terminal - they make that kind of creeping corrosion inevitable. You may need to trim the cable back some to get to clean copper. If you have to stretch the cable, don't. Replace it. Don't put mechanical strain on any electrical wires. Ever. (Well, unless it's a roadside emergency kind of thing.)

But a more general tip for you - if you ever have electrical problems, and your terminals are corroded, start there. Don't bother to ask anybody for advice, don't bother to do any other troubleshooting until you have cleaned up your battery terminals. That's Job #1.

:beer:

Attachments

PAm1009

Hey guys got the 1009 purring like a kitten. Changed the battery cables all new connectors
today tightend everything up and the truck was up an running. I thank you guys VERY much in helping me out in my time of need the advice was great and did as you guys said. So thank you agian for all your help!

truck1

Those cables need replacement.I use #4 cable minimum and those crip on cable ends are known to be loose and leak voltage . All that buildup of sulphur is another sign of lost voltage and can contribute to battery decline. If the rest of your terminals and connectors look like that I would do a complete charging- starting system voltage check and replace your batteries and all conducters and cable ends with clean soldered on terminals. You are definitely loosing voltage with that setup.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks