• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Nocking really bad all of a sudden

tommyd

Hello,
Yesterday when I started her she was knocking pretty bad and loud, but on higher RPM it stops. But if I let off on the pedal its loud/knocking again. No prior issues.

It has 37K on it and was running like a top. Checked and replaced oil, checked for exhaust leaks, added injector cleaner, checked for loose or broken mounts and replaced air filter. Any suggestions?

I did some searches and all I could find was a broken fly wheel. Also the starter just started to skip a few times??? Am I on the right track? I am by no means a mechanic, but do my best. I was also thinking about a bad oil pump, but really don't have a clue. I really need to get this fixed, due to its my only means of transportation to work at this time.

Semper Fi,
Tommy

davidkroberts

yeah i had a very similar problem, It was a loose bendix in my starter. The bendix was knocking against the flywheel intermittently at lower rpms. The knocking didnt vary with the rpm they were pretty constant. When mine started to drag it failed after a few more weeks.

Replace your starter, I used a 12v stock GM starter and rewired it to the first battery instead of the 24v side. My problem stopped.

tommyd

Anyone have a 24v starter? I was also told to check flex plate and harmonic balancer. But how would you go about it? A starter would be a easy fix for me. To inspect flex plate, would I have to drop the tranny? Also how do check the harmonic balancer?

K10A

There is a cover on the trans you can remove to inspect the flexplate. The balancer
should be running nice and true not wobbling when the truck is running. The rubber falls apart and the outer ring hits the engine=bad. It also MIGHT be a bad injector I had a bad injector and it sounded like the motor was going to grenade and it was semi intermittent. After re reading your post im going to say bad injector do a search on how to check them I cant remember that was years ago on mine.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
to check the flywheel/flexplate, you just need to remove the shield/cover, and use a screw driver to turn it around.

The rubber part of the balancer can be inspected at the same time. Look at it from the rear. You can see the rubber falling apart.

Do you have the free Technical Manuals? www.jatonkam35s.com

The best bet on your starter is to have it rebuilt. Some people have had luck with the $100 Chinese starters from FleaBay. Whatever you do make sure you use new starter bolts and replace the support bracket with the correct style. Many posts with pictures covering this.

P.S. did you ever get your brake light issue resolved? Always good to post an "After Action Report"

Last edited:
It also could be a bad injector. You can go to you tube and search injector knock and compare the sound. break the injector lines one at a time to find knocking cylinder.

good luck

Mic 3:8 But truly I am full of power by the Spirit of the LORD, And of justice and might, To declare to Jacob his transgression And to Israel his sin.

tommyd

Warthog,
Thanks! I'll check everything tonight and yes, I finally found my issue with the light, now I have to figure out proper wiring for STD trailer plug. While I'm thinking. I have a GI canon plug for trailers if anyone needs it of the beast. I will never use it and I'm certain it would be good to someone here rather then putting it in the garbage.

Last thing I want to check...on another diesel form, one suggested to check injectors. That I may have a or some bad ones. Is that another possibility? Well I'm going to check the HB and flex plate first. The beast only has 37k on her and does not smoke. So I really don't think that's a problem, but I don't know jack when it comes to engines! Any suggestion I'm all ears. Thanks again to all that offered their input.

Semper Fi!

tommyd

Warthog,
Thanks! I'll check everything tonight and yes, I finally found my issue with the light, now I have to figure out proper wiring for STD trailer plug. While I'm thinking. I have a GI canon plug for trailers if anyone needs it of the beast. I will never use it and I'm certain it would be good to someone here rather then putting it in the garbage.

Last thing I want to check...on another diesel form, one suggested to check injectors. That I may have a or some bad ones. Is that another possibility? Well I'm going to check the HB and flex plate first. The beast only has 37k on her and does not smoke. So I really don't think that's a problem, but I don't know jack when it comes to engines! Any suggestion I'm all ears. Thanks again to all that offered their input.

Semper Fi!

Barrman

An injector with any slop inside will hammer like crazy above idle.

Do you mean the stock trailer plug? I'll take it. PM me details to get shipping money to you.

ryan77

Warthog,

Semper Fi!

Il take that plug if you still got it!!! PM me if you do

K10A

Check the injectors already.

warthog,
thanks! I'll check everything tonight and yes, i finally found my issue with the light, now i have to figure out proper wiring for std trailer plug. While i'm thinking. I have a gi canon plug for trailers if anyone needs it of the beast. I will never use it and i'm certain it would be good to someone here rather then putting it in the garbage.

Last thing i want to check...on another diesel form, one suggested to check injectors. That i may have a or some bad ones. Is that another possibility? Well i'm going to check the hb and flex plate first. The beast only has 37k on her and does not smoke. So i really don't think that's a problem, but i don't know jack when it comes to engines! Any suggestion i'm all ears. Thanks again to all that offered their input.

Semper fi!

Barrman

I just re read this entire thread. Except in the original post. Oil and internal engine faults are not mentioned. Just goes to show how these "junk 6.2" engines are so bad that none of us even thought about internal issues. We have all been concentrating on other parts of the vehicle that could be causing the noise.

Does your oil idiot light work? As in when you turn on the key, does it light up and then go out once the engine starts? If yes, then keep looking at other stuff. Since you have checked all the obvious items, I would suggest pulling the belts and firing it up again. Alternators, water pump and power steering pump could be the cause of the noise. Stopping them all is an easy way to check. Just run it for a minute or two starting with a cold engine and nothing will get hot or hurt.

If the light isn't lighting up when the key is turned on, figure out why. The -20 has a few words about this. Basically, it could be the bulb, the sendor or the wires in between. Once you get it working, make sure the engine is making oil psi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks