• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 not turning over

justinwregier

ARGGHH!!! more repost

Noob here

Basically my once faithful CUCV is now not starting on its own.:(

the story so far

New Batteries
New Starter
Fuel in tank :-D

Obviously the "issue" is one of detail and I will admit to not being able to nail it down...

I read an article in the TM section about 6.2 cold starting aka air in the fuel lines contributing to weak or zero fuel prime. Its against the rules but the engine will turn over great with just a hint of starter fluid so perhaps the fuel prime is my issue?

I am learning as I go but my M1009 is also my daily driver which presents a bit of a bind when its not working proper. I am willing to have a diesel mech have a look but knowing what repairs are needed helps me to communicate and learn.

Any advice, help or direction is welcome.

Smash the noob :razz: haha

Thanks

Justin

EDIT: I live in NW OHIO and if anyone can recommend a solid mechanic to troubleshoot and repair a CUCV let me know... it seems like a good step since the truck is such a puzzle.

Last edited:

topgun217

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay,

lets get some terminology set first.

You are saying it will turn over with some ether. This is not a good statement.

Change your wording to one of the following:

The engine will not crank (does nothing, will not turn over)
The engine cranks, but will not start.
The engine cranks, but will not start, but when I apply ether it will start

If the last statement is correct then there are a couple of possiblities. The TM covers them. There is air in the system or the glowplug system is non-operational

We need a clearer descriptionof the problem.

justinwregier

Pardon my error in the title, its been a tiresome process and I failed to clarify.

Starting fluid with percents of ether aid in turning the engine over and then driving.

Currently without ether, the engine cranks but does not turn over as it should.

I do not mean to be so redundant regarding this issue on the forum but it is the best resource available to me right now for a repair plan/process.

As of now this is what I am aware of:

All interior lights work including wait, gen and dash lights
Key turned to on illuminates wait light for glow plug operation
The volt meter reads voltage. (Heat fan blows high)
Key turned to cranking and the starter goes at it but no VRROOOM

The air in the system seems to be a possibility. Near the fuel filter there is a round black knob with a 'X'
opening this there is viable air bubbles in the line running to the ground. Would cranking with this knob open clear the air from the fuel line?

Last edited:

ralbelt

You are saying that the engine will crank over but will not start, unless you use either, then it will start and drive.
I would check the glowplug circuit according to the TM. Do not use either once you get the glowplugs working or you can do serious damage to the engine.