• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Odometer (getting rolled back?)

paramilusmc

Hey, I have an issue I need to find an answer for.

I have a relative that is taking care of my M1009 while I am overseas. When I was home here a few months ago I took a picture of my odometer just for S**** and Giggles.

this particular relative is not exactly been known for his honesty. In matter of fact when i was home I found that my drivers side window wouldn't role up as well and I remembered. Just to find out he slammed the door so hard he broke the window and had to replace it. But he never told me about it till I mentioned it to him.

So back to the story at hand. My insurance was up and i had to send in a pic of the odometer to prove actual mileage on the vehicle. Ends up the picture I got was over a hundred miles below the picture I took a couple of months ago.

So whats the issue here? Is he using the truck and rolling back the miles (he took a day before he sent me the pic) or is there something wrong with the truck? Other than that I am out of possibilities/ideas of what else could be happening here.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to keep a cool head over this.

Never had any of these issues when I was driving my truck daily.

Riftweaver

Working for the general for quite a few years.....

It's pretty much impossible to get a spedo/odometer to roll backwards without physical intervention.

The Ferris Bueller trick doesn't work with newer stuff. You can spin a cable backwards all day long and it won't take miles off.

I hope you find other reasons it had less mileage, rather than human intervention.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is only ONE way the mileage goes backwards and it is not legal. And yes it is human intervention. You probably need to find a different caretaker for your truck before you come back to a pile of wreckage! I am sure there are a lot of stories around town about your truck while you were gone.:roll:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is just driving around town backwards. Whats the issue? :mrgreen:

sandcobra164

well, the odo only goes to 99,999 miles till it rolls over. Not sure how long you'd have to spin the speedo cable to make it roll around but it's possible. Just like when you see some of these wore slap out but it's only showing 8,000 miles when we all know it's more like 108,000 miles.

Barrman

Are you sure it wasn't swapped out for another speedo? A drill will only get a speedometer up to 70-80 mph. Lets call it 70. 100,000 divided by 70 is 1428.57 hours. Divide that by 24 to get days. 59.52 days of letting the drill run wide open. I would guess it is a replacement speedo, it was taken apart and moved back which means it will never work right again or one of the two pictures is being read wrong.

Find somebody else to watch your truck or put it in storage.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can legally reset a speedometer as long as it is well documented AND, this is the biggie, it is reset to the original mileage as the one that was replaced. It is not that hard to do. Different states have different laws pertaining to how it is done. When it comes right down to it if you reset it to the original mileage who is going to know it was replaced? Job done. Digital speedo's are a whole different animal! You need some 12 year old computer geek to do it for you.:roll::roll:

Rick

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to tell is to pull the dash and look. any normal dash that has not been out is 30 years is going to look like it, thirty years of unmolested dust. You will know right away if someone has been in there. I think you have all the proof you need right there though, what I gave you would just be icing on the cake.

Personally I think taking a picture of the mileage before turning it over to someone for safekeeping is a good idea. Let the person watching the vehicle and the insurance company know you did it. Keep them honest. There are ways around it but you can tell.
Rick

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

I think you already know the answer. Once honesty & trustworthyness are gone.......they are ussually never restored. You can build a million bridges & they don't call you a bridge builder.... but tell one little lie... & you are branded a LIAR for life 2cents John

M923driver

rickf is right, doesn't take much to keep an honest guy honest, but a true liar will always think he can outsmart you and get away with it. Too bad it's like that, but you can't do much about it. By the way, what year is your M1009? Mine is an '86 and has a six digit odometer, which would show the actual mileage even if it were over 100K. Just happen to think of it. Good luck with your situation.:beer:

I have watched a friend (used car dealer) roll back an odometer. He used a piece of tape to hold the numbers he didn't want to move. He said if you didn't use tape the numbers you move look offset compared to the ones you didn't move. :shock:

K9Vic

By the way, what year is your M1009? Mine is an '86 and has a six digit odometer, which would show the actual mileage even if it were over 100K. Just happen to think of it. Good luck with your situation.:beer:
All 84-87 CUCV have a 5+1 Digit OD from the factory. If you have a 6+1 OD it has been replaced as it was not uncommon for them to lock up. This has been discussed before, if your CUCV have a 6+1 digit OD , it has been replaced. The +1 is the extra 1/10 miles.