• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 opinions before IP change

ms1223

My 84 M1009 will start run for a couple of miles loose power and stall. I checked the fuel for water, new fuel filter, checked for air leakage and cleaned the return line check valve a couple of times. Fuel pump pressure is good.
Any suggestions before I go after the IP? It seems to run good after it stalls only for a few minutes. Does the return line check valve go bad?
Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks, Mike

Ken_86gt

Was the check ball dirty enough to require cleaning? If so, you either repair the fuel pump or remove the check ball....For long term reliability I would look into the fuel pump.

tequilaiam

How do you know if there is air leakage?

My experience: possible that air gets in but fuel doesn't drip out, making it impossible to source a leak. I bought clear fuel line and quickly IDed where the leak was comming from.

Check your water in fuel sensor in your fuel filter assembly. I found mine had a tiny pinhole leak that sealed up when pressurized by the pump but let in a little bit of air to allow the filter housing to drain back to the tank. therefore, I could start it up then after a little while that air bubble got sucked into the IP and stalled it.

ms1223

Thanks for the info. When I cleaned the ball check it had a small amount of small hard particles. I put a clear hose on the retun line and saw no air bubbles. Fuel is good pressure. The truck will run good for ten minutes after sitting for a few hours. It then stalls, has no power, it will restart immediately. It will stall when slowing down, it's a real treat when you restart with you your foot on the brake trying to slow the truck

Barrman

If you had particles in the check valve, your IP is coming apart. Start planning for a replacement or rebuild. The stalling while coasting is another sign of it dying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks