• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 'Outer' Air Filter

mrlippy

First of all, as a new MV owner, I love this Site!

Anyway, as my 'resto' continues on my m1009. I have had no luck in finding anyboby with access to the outer foam air filter that was on my truck originally. Is it needed at all? Thanks for the help!

Rick Deen
aka mrlippy
1986 m1009
12k orig miles!

jimm1009

There is an AC Delco number for air filter with foam pre-filter and one for without pre-filter.
It helps to catch some of the finer dust but most civy units do not have it.
Remember that Uncle Same want fleet conformity amongst their trucks so they want one number to list in the part TMs. They also want them all to be able to go into snow, dust, sand, etc. without picking the between truck hence the fleet conformtiy.
I can look for the part number later tonight when I arrive home.
I have a 50/50 chance of finding it as I used to use that all the time before I went to a K & N filter.
jimm1009

CUCV85

no it's not a required part! It serves only as an EXTRA barrier "pre cleaner" to the actual air filter. The military had it over the air filter for an EXTRA protection because of the potential for training/missions in dusty conditions.

Last edited:

jimmy-90

I have never used a filter without the foam pre-filter since I built a ram-air for my truck and want the foam to keep rain drops from getting all the way into the motor. I suspect that one posible purpose of the foam is to quiet down the engine a little bit too. If any of you have ever started your 6.2s without the air cleaner on it then you know how much noise these engines REALLY make. Anyhow the NAPA out here even had them in stock,foam and everything,the last time I went to buy one so they can still be found.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This isn't rocket science guys.................

From the TM 9-2320-289-20p parts manual, the Air Filter number is A644C.

This cross references to NAPA filter FIL 6069 - $29.49.

Or if you search NAPA for the 1984 K30 w/6.2L Diesel (J Code) you will find 4 different filters.

SFI 22096 - ProSelect - $4.99
FIL 2096 - Gold - $14.49
FIL 6096 - Gold w/wrap - $29.49
BK 3354812 - K&N - $51.99

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks