• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 passenger side alternator

mistaken1

The glow plug relay should have two large terminals. One is the feed (in a stock system it is coming from the resistor on the firewall). The other has the orange wires that feed the glow plugs.

When the truck is running and warm you should measure voltage on the feed wire but not the load wire (glow plug side). I do not have all of my pictures available.

mistaken1

So when you put a load on the electrical system (lights and wipers) then the truck voltage meter drops and a relay starts chattering (buzzing like a door buzzer)?

Do the lights look dim when this happens? What voltage does each battery read when the truck meter is reading low?

wiccantoy

Ok checked it again with a load on it and top post was 26-27 sides were 12ish. She really didn't flip out with everything running this timi even had my light bar on when i was doing ite. Im wondering why some says it gives me problems and some nothing?

mistaken1

Is it the glow plug relay on the firewall chattering or the Gen 2 relay under the dash chattering?

Either way it sounds like a bad (loose or corroded) connection. Warthog always says to test your fusible links by pulling on the real hard. They can open but still look okay from the outside.

Also their could be a fusible link that partially opened that will read voltage fine (meters have are a very small load) but will cause a voltage drop as the load increases. In other words part of the power is used to operate things like lights and part of the power is used to heat the damaged fusible link or corroded connection so you end up with lights that are dim and wires that get hot (bad).

The wire that fried in your first post, was it the one feeding the diamond shaped bus?

Attachments

mistaken1

Intermittent issues are tough, you have to be a the right place at the right time to catch them.

Did you remove, clean and replace all the connections on 12V bus?

How did you repair the 12V feed wire?

wiccantoy

Intermittent issues are tough, you have to be a the right place at the right time to catch them.

Did you remove, clean and replace all the connections on 12V bus?

How did you repair the 12V feed wire?
I replaced the wire that burnt with another off a m1008 from a guy on here. He said it worked. I pulled hard as u said. And nothing is betting even a little warm. I got the volts to get low with everything on. And the light bar for plowing. With all the take downs and alleys.

mistaken1

Sounds like an alternator is not charging. It is also intermittent. It may be that when the alternator is tested it is good, when you put it back on the truck and run all the lights it is good. Come back a day later and run all the lights and the voltage drops low.

The next time you get the voltage to drop low measure the voltage from the positive to negative of each battery to see what you get.

mistaken1

Do both of the alternator lights come on when the key is on? Do they both go out when the truck is running? Does one come back on when the voltage drops ;ow?