• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Pintle Hitch Mounting

pacebm

Hey guys, my M1009 came with the pintle and mount torched off so I bought one from an excellent SS member, but I am having difficulty with the install. What is the trick to get the top tabs over the tabs on the bumper? Do I need to remove the bumper? Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt65

I changed out my rear bumper for one in better shape. It was surprisingly tough to install the replacement. Before I got it on I ended up using a line up bar, an impact wrench, sledge and prybar.

pacebm

There is not a lot of options on how to mount it but I have tried two different ways. One, put it up there with the tabs below the bumper tabs and second, put the tabs over the bumper tabs. Neither way gives me enough clearance to install. Also note, I removed the bottom support since it had a couple of missing bolts anyway.

If I put the tabs over the bumper tabs, I can't get the top rear plate to clear.
If I put the tabs under, the bottom plate hits the gas tank skid plate.

I tried to put the tabs under and pry out the bumper with a crowbar but no luck.

I attached some pictures:
Mount 1 - shows my opening
Mount 2 - shows the tabs on the bumper I am having trouble clearing
Mount 3 - shows the bracket back up against the rear frame support
Mount 4 - shows it up with the top brackets below
Mount 5 - shows the bottom plate hitting the gas tank shield
Mount 6 - shows the same as #5 with at a different angle
Mount 7 - shows tabs on top
Mount 14 & 15 shows straight bumper

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

pacebm

Well for some reason I couldn't install without loosening the bumper bolts and taking the gas tank skid plate lose in the back. Replaced all hardware with grade 8 and it went back together perfectly. Not sure why I had so much trouble but I got it installed. Thanks

DrJekl

I suppose I am late on this. I had to remove that piece to get the pintle off in order to install apintle/ball combo hitch. All I did was bend the tabs to get enough room then bend them back when the pintle mount plate was back in position.