• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Pintle hook rating?

Parablazer

Hello everybody, I have done a few searches and can't find anything that tells me the rating on the pintle hook the M1009 has on it. I am looking at purchasing a 20' gooseneck with a towing capacity of 26000lbs. Can convert the trailer to a Pintle but before I buy I would like to know if that is a bit too much trailer for the ole CUCV.

Thanks.
Dominik

USAWEAPON777

:ditto: holy crap.... i'd be suprised if it moved. I wouldn't tow much over 6,000 to 7,000 on the m1008 and u'd be moving pretty darn slow. Not to mention it has much stronger axles and much lower gears.

Last edited:

jimmy-90

Your best bet for trying to tow that with a cucv would be an M1028 with dual rear wheels. Whatever you do DO NOT try to hook something like that to the stock cucv pintle hitch. Im not sure what the exact rating is on the stock pintle hitch but I believe it is in the 5000lb range. Me personally I wouldn't try to tow anything near 26000lbs with a 1ton truck. Much less a blazer. If you hook 26000lbs to a blazer you will probly die. Also the 6.2L diesel will not pull that with 3.08 gears. Not trying to be a d**k but please don't try to drive up the road with that hooked to an M1009.

Westech

CPL
dudes its only 20 foot long.. my car trailer is as long. Now.. having said that... that trailer must be duals for sure. If loaded the 10 bolt will brake (axle tube) Remember the axles are only 1/2 ton.

Parablazer

Well I don't know what I would tow that weighs that much, but thats the rating for the trailer. Its cheap so I just was wondering what the capacity is of the M1009. Don't worry, I am not gonna be this guy. [thumbzup]

Attachments

papercu

Depend on how fast you plan on going.
From the TM M1009:
Gross load will not exceed 10,000 pounds for M1009, 15,000 pounds for M1008, M1008A1, M1028, M1028A1, M1028A2, and M1028A3 but not over 5 miles an hour. rofl Wayne

WARWAG

I want to see a Blazer tow a gooseneck

DONT ASK! Ive seen it... Well kinda. It was a small jimmy blazer that had its tail gate down and the guy had a 5th wheel hitch bolted right on. He then used chain to reinforce the tail gate cables. It had a fifth wheel travel trailer attached! Way over loaded and scary as ****. Last I saw him he was headed down I80 towards Salt lake City.

On another note the person who started this thread said it could be converted to tow by Pintle. Not sure how and dont care.

Last edited:

Parablazer

Yeah, the trailer probably weighs 5000lbs, and as for the conversion, my friend works at the trailer shop where it is. He said it's not to hard, just some cutting and welding.

"Westech" Thanks for the data. Now at least I can be sure of what it can and can't tow.

Well if I still want the trailer I just have to talk the wife into a M35A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks