• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 possessed by Satan still won't start

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Today I went five rounds with this wretched imp of Beelzebub and again it defies me.

I've gotten advice from several members here :recovry4x4::gimp2: and I thank them for putting up with my incessant carping.

I've narrowed the problem down to the fuel solenoid shutoff that is inside a cover on top of the IP.

This particular placement of parts was designed by an idiot after consulting with a group of morons.

Before I'll try to replace that IP I'll blow this thing up and use the video as "B roll" for a future movie. :burn:

I downloaded the TM and while it shows an exploded view of the engine including the IP it does not show the IP exploded which would show the solenoid inside.

I've removed and replaced the offending part three times.

If you take the cover off and ground it to the battery and then apply the hot wire to where the pink wire attaches it will actuate.

When you put it back on and attach the pink wire it will not "CLICK" as I've been told it should when the ignition is on.

I even ran a permanent ground to the housing.

I checked the pink wire with a muti-meter with the switch on and there is 12 volts showing.

If you touch a hot wire from the battery to where the pink wire goes on there is no click from the housing but there is a click from the vicinity of the drivers side firewall.

What I need is a part number or an exploded view that I can take to NAPA with me tomorrow to try to get a solenoid.

Any help would be appreciated and may keep this malingering Steel Soldier from going high order.

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

I never heard a clink either. i had the pump in the vise and connected a battery charger to it. No click. The valve opens I seen it open when I held the cover in my hand and applied the + and grounded it. Still no click. I have an injection pump on order. Not sure about that click. I tried a core pump also no click there either and it was opening. I removed the cover and tried it again. Seems simple. Just get a good pump unless you are 100% sure that valve is not opening. I may be lucky like always. I never had one of the valves fail. But with a modified CUCV the way it is descibed it must be a clicker. Starter relay snapping and clicking. Glow plug relay clicking now the fuel shut off clicking. I only ever hear the glow plug relay click on my CUCV's. That is enough clunking,clicking and snapping for me. Now if I could just get the rattle rattle chatter chatter to go at it again everything would be grand. The $275. injection pump will start the symphony again in no time. It is such a joy to hear them symphonic sounds at 20 degrees in the morning. Good Luck with the M1009. I think the inevitable is the injection pump.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First things first, Wreckerman. You have to talk nicely to and about your CUCV. It's picking up all them bad vibes you're throwing out. It doesn't want to cooperate - in essence it's being ornery to to spite you! ;-) If it really IS possessed, you might have to call in our beloved Chaplain to help you rid the evil spirits from your OD iron!
:usafss:

I agree with cucvrus - swap the IP. Replace the fuel filter. Charge the batteries. Prime the fuel system. Start it up. Listen to the melodic rattling of that 6.2L.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Wreckerman is highly intelligent and knows a lot about many different subjects. I'm not sure if he has any experience tweaking flux capacitors, though!!! :razz:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I agree with cucvrus - swap the IP. Replace the fuel filter. Charge the batteries. Prime the fuel system. Start it up. Listen to the melodic rattling of that 6.2L.
Knowing what I went through just to get that cover off I can tell you now that before I replace that IP there will be a major reverse engineering of that smug chunk of green iron.

For 3 grand I'll pass it on to some hardy soul that has a higher frustration factor than I do.

Chaski

It isn't that bad. 4 hours of your life if you have done it before. 6-8 hours if you have not. Swapping the injection pump isn't that bad.

Rock out to Survivor - Eye of the tiger and get to tearing it apart.

Chaski

Excellent. Not a bad price on the solenoid. I'm curious how this will work out, you may also want to get a seal kit for the pump, as you might destroy the sealing washers on the solenoid studs while trying to remove and re-use them (the new part may come with washers... I don't know).

You should start saving up large cardboard chunks to make yourself a comfortable engine compartment bed, you may need it if you have to pull the pump.

CUCVLOVER

Just pull the pump and get it rebuilt. 275 is a steal for having it done. I had mine done by diesel performance in Memphis Tennessee. It was not a bad job once you get started. Some Pandora radio tuned for Rodney Carrington, Richard Pryor, and the blue collar comedy guys really helps.
AC DC highway to h#!! Is not a good song to do that job too lol.
I had my pump rebuilt and it solved all of my running issues.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IP swaps on NA 6.2's and 6.5's are a breeze. Well relatively speaking. Want pain? Get into some more of the exotic diesels. My Jeep Liberty has a Italian made VM diesel engine in it. Even a timing belt (yes belt) is a total pain. I can do a 6.2 IP in an afternoon, easy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Maybe this is not the exploded view you were look for but page 199 of this shows the IP in a exploded view.
I had already found the exploded view and printed off three different views of it to take to NAPA with me.

I got an email from Accurate Diesel that said the part shipped today. Should have it by Friday or Saturday depending on Snail Mail.

Thanks for the assist.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't fix it, call me before you take the ax to it, maybe we can work out a trade or a price, and you can send the devil with it. I have several here to keep him company.

Mac

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The demon has been cast out!!!! My son and I performed an exorcism today and the infernal contraption is now moving under it's own power again.

The fuel shutoff solenoid was the culprit but here is "the rest of the story".

The new solenoid was slightly longer than the old one and I had to install and remove it twice to get it to seat properly. The solenoid also has to be grounded and isolated from the housing.

I found this out when I fried one of the wires on the firewall after installing it the second time.

I grounded it from the negative side of the batter to the side of the solenoid opposite of the hot side.

The third time was the charm and now there is joy in Mudville tonight.

I'd still sell this contraption down the river for a very reasonable offer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks