• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Pricing?

justinwregier

I got my M1009 addiction off of ebay for about $1900 and in the last 18 months+ I have been replacing/repairing mostly internal components. Some repairs have been my own fault and others have been due to age of the vehicle (1986).

Rear end including drums (drove the wheel bearings/diff out of the original)
Glow Plugs
Glow Plug "relay"
Starter (twice) 2nd was a warranty replacement
Flywheel (first one didnt get along with the new starter)
Two Batteries
One tire (odd but the other three were about 80%)
Fan switch for climate control (haha)
New pads for front brakes
all gear box fluids, oil and other liquids
Windshield crack filled and wiper blades
Air filter

Eventually I hope to restore and or add some custom items to my m1009 but the funds are typically going to keeping it as a daily driver. Other budgets may allow for more activity but as already posted above it is a crap shoot on what condition the CUCV will be in.

Overall I am hooked on the truck and this site.

Happy Hunting!

DXTAC

I was an 18 year old once beating the S&%T outta 5 tons, deuces, HMMV's, 1009's, 1008's and HEMMITT's and I still bought one!! I did actually take care of my vehicle though as I HATED cleaning it when we got back from the field!!! Luckily I drove the commander around so it was very well taken care of by the motor pool!

I did do a brake torque in a 5 ton once and broke the driveshaft!! LOL GOOD TIMES!! I was then made very aware of the LARGE sticker that stated "DO NOT APPLY BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR AT THE SAME TIME as damage may occur"! LOL

OL AG '89

2cents O.k. here goes
set a budget bid to that! make sure you have some "extra" funds to fix if you by from GL or GSA. these trucks that are turned out by those agencies have exceeded their "useful" life. That's not to say they are cr*p, but the agency that had them made a financial decision to turn it loose.
I boubght my 1st from GSA, didn't pay much, but the "blown engine" kept most away. I tweeked on it for several months and with much cranking it fired right up, also purchased a 2nd engine from transport guy that delivered from New York.
My 2nd I bought from SS member, and I have put ALOT of money into it. Not because it needed but because it was in GREAT physical condition. I added Big tires, Lift Kit, didn't NEED any of this stuff. but I did!!!
as far soldiers driving the SNOT out of them. In my 21 years in the TXARNG, I never experienced any soldier trying to destroy his transportation!! We had limited parts and even more limited funds to repair "stupid" acts by drivers. As a Cmdr if I would of heard of a driver abusing his vehicle, that soldier would have LOST his license to drive ANY vehicle in my motor pool.
We had a saying in the CAV, NEVER PISS ON YOUR MOUNT!!! meaning that truck is your only way around in the field, without it you be just another leg..... with a ruck!!

elfraz

I got my M1009 from gov liquidations. I was able to look at it before hand. However there where 16 others for sale at the same time. All had a wide variety of conditions. Mine was a very fair deal. I did have to wait 6 weeks for the EUC to clear. When it was delivered it had two flat tires and two dead bateries. The glow plug card was missing. Once I got that thanks to a fellow steel soldies and charged the batteries I have benn driving it ever since.

m1garand_man

got mine on ebay for $2700 right after I got back from iraq. as far as ebay goes look at thier reviews. They guy had 100+ auctions over a few years with no negative feedbacks so that made me feel better about getting stright answers to my questions. And I asked a lot of questions. The truck is straight. I have put over 15,000 miles on it since I bought it in july of 09 and I recently pulled a 3,200 pound load from tacoma washington to central montana with. that trip had me crossing 4 mountain passes. No problems other than a small fuel leak from the filter which was due to be changed anyway.

Any way I digress. I like the idea of ebay best because you can see the owners previous feed back and if its good you can be assured that they will honestly answer your questions. Whats more it is likely that they were driving the vehicle recently themselves and have already discovered all the problems that would crop up in the first few hundred miles of driving after sitting stagnate possibly for years. and like with my truck those problems had already been fixed at the previous owners cost. Not something you are guarenteed to get from the military.

One other thing. If I were to buy a vehicle from Govliquidations I would be inclined to get one that has more miles than less on it because it was probably driven more frequently and recently and therefore less likely to develop leakes from dried out seals. but that's just my $0.02