• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Question, Jacks for lifting

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I need a jack to carry in the back of my M1009, for such as tire changes,
maintenence, etc..

What would be better, floor, bottle, or scissor jack?

Also, what jack came standard with the M1009, floor, bottle or scissor jack?

By the way, is there any brand name of jack, that is made in the USA?

Thank you, Good day,

CJ

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floor jacks are probably the easiest/fastest to use, bottle jacks are smaller and screw were origional. Really all your personal choice and how much room you have for the jack.

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hello Hndrsonj,

Thanks for the answer and information..

Duly noted, I will decide once I consider the pros & cons of all 3.

Good day,

CJ

Matt1031

OEM jack was a screw jack. Looks like this.

You can usually get them for about $10 from the junkyard - pretty much any pickup truck jack will work. Sometimes they're behind the seat, sometimes stored under the hood screwed to the inner fenderwell.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, what jack came standard with the M1009, floor, bottle or scissor jack?

CJ
There are some great pictures of the stock jack, mounting hardware and the mounting locations. All found in the TMs. Wonders of modern technology will never cease. :wink:

TM 9-2320-289-10
TM 9-2320-289-20p

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regardless of type of jack used, a secondary safety is always mandatory. Properly placed and operated jack stands are to be used along with a jack.

CycleJay

Doghead,

Thank you for the tip, I already knew about jack stands, I just could not remember,
the other information I was asking for.

Good day,

CJ

Pawnshop

I carry several in my M1009: bottle (big and small), HMMWV scissor, M105A3 stabilizer/jack and a Hi-Lift bumper type. I guess showing up at Tinker to recover the truck and finding a flat with no spare or jack in the truck made me a bit paranoid:) They have come in very handy for roadside repairs, mine and others!

rlwm211

A stock type of Jack for tire changes and such would make sense.

I would add a hi-lift Jack if you plan on any offroad adventures.

You do not always have a buddy and a vehicle around to pull you off of the log you are high centered on.

Just my two cents
RL

Timber

I've got a 20-yr old version of this floor jack: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

It fits behind the spare tire and inbetween the tailgate and rear wheel-well with room to spare. I've used the stock screw-jack and it worked, but it doesn't instill heaps of confidence in it's stability. A floor jack rides well there with room for a lug wrench, small plastic case of tools, and a 12-volt light, for example.:) Fast and easy to work, much safer.2cents

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the information. Duly noted and considered.
But as of today, I cannot think about getting one for now.

My truck is dead in the water again, so I have to solve that problem first.
Then I can re-consider a jack for possible future needs.
That is, if I decide to keep my M1009 after this.. (which I am reconsidering...)

Thank you, good night,

CJ

cpf240

I have a Hi-lift jack for mine works great and only cost $50 on sale.It is good for on and off road just make sure you also carry wheel chocks.
I've been wondering about the Hi-Lift jacks... I think they are great, and very useful... but am wanting to know if they damage the bumper when used to lift the truck? Are there other lift points that can be used on an M1009 or 08 with the Hi-Lift?

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I found out practicing with my Hi-lift jack you need to tie the axle up to the frame with a tie down strap or something similar before lifting. At least if you are lifting from the bumper. The rear bumper was almost four feet off the ground before the tire came off the ground. Just my 2cents.

Whitey

I carry a HMMWV scissor jack. They are plentiful and run fron $15-30. I used it last month when my front passenger tire decided to have a blowout. You will need a decent block of wood, as the akle is pretty far off the ground.

-Whitey