• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, rear battery dies

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuild all mine. Not expensive and easy to do. Things I look for is the lower bolt bushing is loose and greased...the front housing sometimes is hard to get out of the bearing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Thanks again, new rectifier bridges can be bought at auto parts stores or is this something I'll have to search for?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again, new rectifier bridges can be bought at auto parts stores or is this something I'll have to search for?
Pop in the tm and find an nos original. There's a bunch out there. I think eastern surplus has them. I've got 2 but my own stash. Stay away from parts stores they'll sell the wrong stuff or junk plenty of original stuff out there.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the life of me I cannot find the NSN number for the Alternator on the right side. I'm just going to replace the alternator and then rebuild the old one with a new rectifier. Any help here? I looked at all the cucv Tm's including the -P's.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternators are the same p/n.
And what would that be? I can't find a NSN number or part number except this 4629JA and I can't find this online anywhere and any Delco 27SI i find online doesn't have a capacitor or what looks like one to me on the rear of my alternator. I'm confused. I found a couple on an auction site That look like the right 27SI replacement but they don't say anything about replacing 4629JA

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And what would that be? I can't find a NSN number or part number except this 4629JA and I can't find this online anywhere and any Delco 27SI i find online doesn't have a capacitor or what looks like one to me on the rear of my alternator. I'm confused. I found a couple on an auction site That look like the right 27SI replacement but they don't say anything about replacing 4629JA
I don't think any have the capacitor on the outside...that's strictly military for radio interference. Not needed, but you can get an extra one from the rebuild kit and put one on it if you want. Unless you're running radios you won't need it.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the info you are looking for. In TM 9-2320-289-34P, fig 33 item number 8. On the far right QTY 2
Next picture is from the back of the same manual to get the NSN FIG 33 item number 8
I hope this helps.

IMG_9521.jpeg
IMG_9522.jpeg

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure 37 lists all of the internal components. Get part numbers there, then look in section at the back of the TM to find the NSN listings for figure 37 by part number.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Passenger side. It's the plug on top of the alternator...2 wire.

Hey WWRD99 I gotta move my blazer from where it's parked tomorrow, I have the two wire plug removed so it won't drain the battery. Can I run the truck to move it to another part of my property without plugging it back in without frying anything, or do I need to plug it back in, move the truck, then remove the plug again? I'll be down for the count the next couple months and won't be doing any work on anything.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand back work (2019). Just did both knees in June.
I hate to turn this into an old/older middle age guys thread, but my knees are hurting worse now than the sciatica I'm going in for LOL..... Getting a spinal stimulator implant. I suppose knees will be next. We worked hard all our lives, now close to retirement we get to sit the fun out when we can afford it LOL.....

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey WWRD99 I gotta move my blazer from where it's parked tomorrow, I have the two wire plug removed so it won't drain the battery. Can I run the truck to move it to another part of my property without plugging it back in without frying anything, or do I need to plug it back in, move the truck, then remove the plug again? I'll be down for the count the next couple months and won't be doing any work on anything.
Yup! It won't charge the battery...I'd put a trickle charger on it of it'll sit for a long time though.