• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rear differential questions

justinwregier

At first the issue started as smoke which I posted about...
Then after the rear passenger Hub came off the adventure began.
Basically:

Needs new shoes for drums, not to bad but also there are

Bad wheel bearings, axle oil seals and worn/chipped rear diff gears hub to hub

Would there be a better route to go than piece by piece just to replace stock components? I have made inquiries about a rear end at Coleman's which is not to bad a price before the shipping charges. I have limited knowledge of this area of my M1009 in a sense of compatible rear end components.

At this point the truck is on jack stands supporting the rear end but if swapping in a new/refurbished rear end is better than individual parts what else may be worth getting into on the CUCV since it will be off the ground for a little while?

Loving the M1009 already enough to make the repairs and more but wow these trucks sure seem to be neglected a bit in their service life. Did the CUCVs have any combat time?

Learning as I go... :-D

Justin

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would swap the total rear, there is a good chance that the axle snout is trashed if the bearings spun on the snout, with the hub comming off i would say that is the case

Westech

CPL
get a new rear end. If you really don't know your way around a rear end its not going to last. There are special tools needed to set up the rear end. When the axles come out of the housing that means the "C" clips broke and that's not good at all. You can go get one from LKQ auto parts they are all over the US and free ship (used parts) or get one from Coleman's. You could ask and see if there are any members in the area that could help you move the axle. Its only 400 miles give or take to your door one way. It would be worth driving a couple hundred miles to go get it your self.

justinwregier

Yeah the new rear end seems a lot better of a project not only for my current understanding of diff. gearing/ etc.
but also I don want to have further issue with any other nasty surprises along the way.

Thanks