• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 rear drum removal

dmilkman589

i took off the lug nuts, i took off the wheel. now the drum. it wont budge!!!! do i need to hit it harder or am i missing something????

CA_LEO

I just tapped mine around the circumference of the outside edge of the drum with a dead low hammer. Don't know if there is a better way but it worked on mine. Also make sure your parking brake is off.

armytruck63

No clip, but it is possible that the brake shoes may have worn into the drum so that there is a ridge along the edge making it impossible to pull the drum off. If all else fails, turn the star adjuster to retract the shoes. You may have to punch out the metal tab to get to the adjuster.

ranchhopper

Take a flashlight and look into the slot at the bottom of the splash shield that star wheel only ratchets one way. There is a metal tab that you have to lift to ratchet it backwards to allow the shoes to retract you can use two thin screw drivers to accomplish this.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the axle housings have only a slight indention where the brake adjuster hole is, others are already made for you. Get down and look at the housing, where the star adjuster would be, you should be able to see a slight indentation of an oval.

It'll either be real easy or a real PIA to get the oval out. I've used anything from a regular old screwdriver and claw hammer to a cold chisle and a BFH. The guys with air tools make out like a bandit, 2 zaps and its done!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may be rusted to the axle flange. Hit it with a ball peen hammer, on the face, between the studs. Maybe 5-6 hits, like you mean it...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may be rusted to the axle flange. Hit it with a ball peen hammer, on the face, between the studs. Maybe 5-6 hits, like you mean it...
It might not hurt to use a strong screwdriver to pry out on the drum while doing this , applying enough pressure to help it pop off without bending the backing plate . And when reinstalling puting some anti-sieze between the drum and flange.

Last edited:

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In some cases when the shoe has worn into the drum you will, as noted above, have to back off the star adjuster. This does not always release the drum. We use a large 3 arm puller and a hammer. Place the puller arms between the back plate and the drum,run the screw out until it rests on the center of the axle, use a ratchet to apply tension to the drum, bump with a hammer (dead shot is best) around the drum. Continue to apply tension and bump till it releases.

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM instructions worked for me...

On my M1009, the knockout wasn't obvious, but when I looked carefully I was able to find it. Scoring the edges of the knock out with a cold chisel seemed to help get it popped out.

One came off without backing off the star nut. FWIW, when I had that one off, I popped out the knock out anyway and filled the gap with RTV sealant for next time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On my M1009, the knockout wasn't obvious, but when I looked carefully I was able to find it. Scoring the edges of the knock out with a cold chisel seemed to help get it popped out.

One came off without backing off the star nut. FWIW, when I had that one off, I popped out the knock out anyway and filled the gap with RTV sealant for next time.[/QUOTE]

You can get RUBBER replacement plugs for this adjusting hole, at most auto parts stores

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Section 7-7 of the -20 manual talks you though the process step by step.
BEAT me to it, sounds like a needed read from the sound of the start of this thread

You can find the TMs here
UPDATED LIST
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
Former Military Vehicle Owners - Index
OR
ARMY 6X6: SERVICE MANUALS
OR
MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M135 --Canadian trucks
OR
http://www.morsegroup.org/america1.htm --------------------------------Military Radios
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks