• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rear end replacement

acesneights1

A gov-lock anything sucks. Even the gov-lock 14B FF rear. Now a detroit locker that is found in the CUCV 1008's and other truck chassis, that's the ones you want.

I've got a pickle jar filled with kibbles and bits from a gov-lock 14B FF diff that I blew apart.
Yep.

ODdave

I had two blow apart and I lost the wheel and axles. No thanks. 8 lugs for me from now on not to mention way better brakes with the 13 inch shoes. You put a GM 14 bolt with a gov lok and now you got something....:mrgreen:
The governer (part that breaks) in the FF 14 is the same size as the 10 bolt. True you wont loose an axle though. Keep in mind not all 8-lugs are FF. 13in brakes are overkill for a 1009.

Dont get me wrong, I am in no way bad mouthing heavier axles but there are aplication correct ways of going about it. Some things are just overkill. As well, a 3/4 ton chevy front axle is in NOT STRONGER as far as power delivery than the half ton.

acesneights1

well I can say that Jimmy I posted the pics of was a nice conversion. It stopped way better, I had piece of mind of strength and
the 3.73's worked out nicely. I agree the 3/4 front axles is no differnt from the 1/2 ton save for the hubs and rotors and bolt pattern. In fact IIRC the spindles and bearings were the same but a FF 14bolt...well that is a beast. Most of the time a 10 bolt(if you can find a good one) goes for 400$ plus used. On average you can but a mid 70's early 80's 3/4 chevy truck for not much more with both diffs and everything you need plus some spare parts...