• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rear window handle.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal - looks like you got rid of an "ankle-biter"...

I have a brand new crank assembly waiting for me at home - I'll look to incorporating your securing brackets in it too.,..

Ghost2012

The things that suck about these handles is the entire thing usually snaps off. I'm working on a fix, already have half the prototype done if anyone wants to beta test when I get it finished.

ssdvc

I haven't had any problems with min yet, but I am in and out of the back of my 1009 a lot. I'd be willing to give your fix a shot. Is it a simple install?

camp9

:ditto:I just bought my first M1009 last week, the window is up and the crank dosen't work, so looking at your post to help me fix mine. [thumbzup]

camp9

The first thing I did when I fixed mine was to remove the safety latch that prevent the gate from opening without the window being down.
I was wondering about that. I can pull the latch but nothing happens. The window is not up into weather striping so I think i can get it open without breaking the window. I'm guessing I need to get that door off to fix the guts?

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:I just bought my first M1009 last week, the window is up and the crank dosen't work, so looking at your post to help me fix mine. [thumbzup]
camp9,

Did you verify the window crank lock is "unlocked" (unlocked with the ignition key)? That will make the handle spin in circles without being engaged.

camp9

Thanks MikeV, that's what it's doing, I'll check and see if it's locked. If that's not it I ordered the LMC catalog and will get the guts I need to fix it and then baby it.

Last edited:

camp9

Checked it locked and unlocked, still turns all the way around. I'm going to start into it tomorrow, where should I start to get it apart without hurting anything?

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked it locked and unlocked, still turns all the way around. I'm going to start into it tomorrow, where should I start to get it apart without hurting anything?
I'm not where I can look at my tailgate, but if you can access the lower phillips screws that secure the inner tailgate access cover sheet metal (inside of the tailgate), that will allow you to gain access to the glass mounts, regulator and crank handle mounting nuts.

Chances are is your handle clutch cup is worn or tabs broken off. If you can drop the tailgate, you can work on everything to include pulling the glass out for better access (not necessary, but helps)...

camp9

Thanks MikeV. Problem is I can't get the door open yet, I pull the inside latch up, but nothing happens. I have to get the kids out to help pull the handle up so I can see whats going on.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks MikeV. Problem is I can't get the door open yet, I pull the inside latch up, but nothing happens. I have to get the kids out to help pull the handle up so I can see whats going on.
You have to climb inside, climb over the rear seat and go to the back with the phillips screwdriver and remove the access panel (with the door/tailgate in the closed, upright position).

The part I'm not sure of is if you can access those lower screws or are they covered by the floor of the CUCV?

Climb in there, you'll see what I mean...

epartsman

I have just acquired all of the parts to go power from a civy blazer and that will be my preventative fix and eventually I will sell my manual handle that still works fine but does not lock nor does it have any way of locking as it is just flip out and crank. Another reason to replace.

Last edited:

joediveguy

I have just acquired all of the parts to go power from a civy blazer and that will be my preventative fix and eventually ill seel my manual handle that still works fine but does not lock nor does it have any way of locking as it is just flip out and crank. Another reason to replace.

I pulled a power one from the bone yard but have not had time to play with it!

Ghost2012

I will do my best to finish the prototype soon. I work six day weeks, ten hour days, I gunsmith on the side and I fix cars... so I'm a little busy. I have to find the original... what options would you guys like to see on the new handles?