• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rear window Key

Barrman

Let me start by saying the window goes up and down perfectly and the tail gate opens and shuts. I don't want to screw that up by taking it all apart.

The key for the door and ignition fits in the rear lock, but doesn't turn. I figure it is crudded up inside the lock cylinder. I sprayed some graphite in there and have tried working the key around. The big question is. Which way does the key turn to lock the rear? clockwise or anti-clockwise? As I wrote, everything except the lock works so I don't want to twist too hard on it.

Thanks.

watkinssr

speaking of which, does anyone here have an extra key cylinder, even a broken one? I bought a cheap one on ebay, only to find it was "un-coded", meaning it has no tumblers.

blackhueys

take your key and the lock cyl you bought over to your chevy dealer they can rekey them in about 5 minutes or so also bring your whole handle assy from the tailgate not really hard to do once the cover is off. If you dont you will have fun trying to get the new cyl to work right and installed right i gave up after 3 hours of trying the chevy guy did it in no time flat if that is you have a good chevy dealer. have fun dont be scared we are all here to help.

watkinssr

Thanks, I may do that if I cant find a junk cylinder to rob. I've rekeyed these things before, but without tumblers ... the handle on mine was missing the key cylinder when I got it, so I don't have an old one to canibalize.

Crash_AF

I have a good old-school locksmith here that I have do my oddball stuff. He has an old short bus that is FULL of locks and lock parts. He rekeyed an old Toy pickup that I had in 5 minutes while I watched. Had a bin full of tumblers for it and just swapped them out until it was right. Cost me $10 for both door cylinders.

I'd call around and find someone like that in Ft Worth to just put the tumblers in it for you. Heck, if you ship it to me, I'll have my guy do it for you and ship it back.

Later,
Joe

Hogg

When i bought my M1009, the whole locking mechanism and window crank where missing... I ordered the whole assembly from LMC Truck... It took about a hour or so to swap it all out, but wasnt difficult. Evidently someone twisted the lock right out of it. There's a clutch inside that is made of cast aluminum thats pretty easy to strip out. I understand your problem, but it may be just as easy to replace to whole locking mechanism, thats already keyed... Its about $40 plus S&H