• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rebuild paint questions

dc9137

I apologize for the length of this, but I’m trying to get my thoughts together so I can plan accordingly. I’m new too all this so my questions may be pretty basic. I’ve read through tons of posts on this stuff and skimmed through the Painting Instruction TM so hopefully my questions won’t be too redundant.

Here’s my situation. I’ve got an M1009 that I’m taking down to the frame and rebuilding (motor comes out this weekend!). I’ll be using a spray gun with appropriate respiration gear. My initial thoughts are some sort of undercoating for the frame and undercarriage, CARC for the exterior and a spray in bed liner for the entire interior floor.

Frame:

• I was thinking of using something like POR 15. Since I’m using a bed liner for the interior floor would I be better off just using that for the frame as well? Any other suggestions for the frame?
  • Should I strip/sand the frame down to metal before painting or is it OK just roughing it up?
  • Is it recommended to prime the frame first? I’ll prime and paint any rust areas I fix.
Undercarriage and wheel wells:
  • Should I use the same coating as the frame or is there a better option?
  • Does spray in bed liner work well?
Body:

• Can I use the CARC paint on the inside of the cab or should I use something different?
  • Should I strip the old CARC and start from scratch or just rough it up? I ask because There are a few spots where the old stuff is pealing (see pic).
  • If I understand right, 1 gal should be enough to paint the exterior. How much extra would I need for the inside?
  • If I decide to do the camo pattern, how much paint would be needed for the other colors? I assume I would do the 383 Green all over then add the other colors as a finish coat.
Thanks in advance for the input. Any suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

MT4222

I used.spray in bedliner in my wheel wells it is holding up great. I wouldnt spray por15 it is very toxic and you cant see.any brush strokes if you brush it on.

dc9137

What about the areas where it is flaking? Do I just pick off the flakes until it's solid, sand the edges then prime?

Last edited:

MT4222

I chiseled of the flakes then i sanded it even where possible and if needed i leveled it with some lightweight body filler.