• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Receiver Hitch

K9Vic

You do not have to cut anything on a M1009, but you do have to remove the Pintle setup and that long cross bar behind the bumper. When you add the receiver it pretty much takes away the bumper pintle, or at least it did with the one I installed.

You should be able to get the hitch locally for less, I got mine for about $100 locally new. But I am in a major city where there are two major suppliers for trailer stuff.

txmytx_catahoula

:ditto: on my install. Had to remove the cross bar between the shackles, then bend up the existing chain loops. I also drilled through the back bar of the new receiver hitch and placed bolts as support for the pindle hitch.

Last edited:

Mike68

I have a 1986 M1009 and I put one on. It bolted on perfect. All I had to do was bend the pintle hitch chain hooks up flush and remove the pintle sway, or reanforcment bar which was a small piece of tube. The hitch took its place. I ordered a hitch for a 1986 blazer and told them nothing about it being a M1009 and the bolt holes in the frame were perfect. I still have the pintle and the receiver hitch.

txmytx_catahoula

The receiver you linked to looks a lot like the one I ordered from JC Whitney (can't remember the brand name). Without detailed measurements I wouldn't feel right telling you whether that particular one would fit without problems. Mike68 described things a whole lot better that I did, so I've included pics of the hitch on my M1009. The back Frame bolts are a PITA, you have to trace them into the frame, then out the rear frame hole. Good luck!!

Attachments

Mike68

That looks just like mine looks. The way I got the bolts in the rear frame holes or I guess they would be the foreward holes was I tied dental floss to the very end of the threads of the carraige bolts and threaded the floss through first then fished the bolts through. I would have to look at it again but I remember once I got the bolts through I somehow held the heads of the bolts through the slot in the frame with my pocket knife while I started the nuts. Its CRAZY!!!!

Mike68

Oh, I know what I did with my knife was I held the little plates that came with the hitch that went in the frame to make the hole square for the carraige bolts then held the bolt heads with my knife to start the nuts. I remember you had to line all the stars planets and stand on your head and hold one toe to get it all together but it did work.:roll:

edpdx

If you have a U-pull it wrecking yard, I'd go there. I find the good hitches already off the truck sometimes where someone wanted the gas tank or bumper. CHeap; but ask first to avoid that rip-off feel.

my86m1009

Thanks guys, i just ordered that curt a minute ago, looks like i should wait till the weather cools off here. I don't think i can keep my cool in 100 degrees...

redwhiteandblue

I would like to install a receiver to my M1009, i was wondering if there are any "mods" to the reciever or truck to make one fit since it has the military bumper. This is the reciever i am looking to buy.
Hidden Hitch CLASS III RECEIVER Hitch - JCWhitney
I just needed something to carry my "hitch hauler" for cargo (deer). So I found one that bolts to the bumper and not the frame. Got it at e-trailer for $52 plus shipping. I used the cross member bolts in the back and drilled the bumper for the bigger bolts showing in the pic. It's meant for a step bumper, model E-3S.
New Hitch.jpg

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
23540.jpg23560.jpg23932.jpgI just removed the existing pintle and cut in and welded a 2" female receiver. Now I can use a pintle or ball In the existing space. It also keeps the receiver the same height and not below the bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks