• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 receiver installation

Mike_Kendall

Hello, I am overseas and my brother recently drove an M1009 I purchased to his house. I would like to be able to tow a 1972 22ft Prowler camper trailer with it. The camper trailer has a 2 inch ball. I asked my brother to look under the bumper and on the frame to see if I can buy a standard square tube receiver that will bolt to the frame and sit under the rear bumper. He doesn't think I can do it.
Looking for recommendations from experience where I can buy off the internet a bolt to frame square tube receiver that will sit under the rear bumper and not require me to remove any of the existing pintle hook hardware.
I saw one thread where a guy bought one for 10 bucks on ebay but it does not look available now and does not look like it bolts to the frame. Advanced thanks, Mike Kendall

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 hitch installations have been covered pretty well, did you try an advanced search in the cucv forum?

91W350

It can be done, I saw one yesterday. When he contacts me again, I will find out what brand. He took off his pintle hitch, but now advises it will fit and he will be putting it back on. Glen

Attachments

niferous

Wouldn't that 22 ft camper trailer far exceed the tow capacity of an M1009? Plus with anything over 15-16 ft I would be worried about drivability because of the M1009's short wheel base.

91W350

He was a little overkill, I thought... Just towing a Dakota Pickup and some personal belongings. The trailer had electric brakes with a controller in the M1009 plus a battery on board the trailer for auto braking if disconnected. He was all about being safe, nothing wrong with that. Glen

Attachments

Mike_Kendall

The camper trailer is a light one with dual axles and good brakes. I will only tow it for short distances if I have to. My brother can also pull it with his P/U that has duallies. Plan on using it at some construction sites and want the receiver hitch just in case I need it. If you can get the brand so I can order off the internet that would be a great help from here. Advanced thanks 91W350 if you are able to get the information.

Sgt Hulka

I have a standard, heavy duty receiver hitch I pulled off one of my M1009s, designed to fit a K5 or Chevy pickup. Very straightforward. Nothing exotic about it at all. Fits right under the pintle hitch. Very common. You should have on problem picking one up on Craig's list. Watch the tow capacity of the M1009, but sounds like you have a handle on that. Good luck!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An advanced search in the CUCV forum for "hitch" gave me 166 results. In about 5 minutes I found this thread that looks like it will work. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/30835-uhaul-trailer-hitch.html

If you had spent the same 5 minutes or more, there would be one less thread for the other 14000 site users to read through, when they want a hitch for their M1009.

Mangus, Chris, I think I have solved the server memory issue. We can just delete all post after the first week, nobody wants to search the previous information....

And for you guys that think I'm too harsh about searching, I'm not. Harsh is when I reply SEARCH and lock the thread.(we could start doing that)

Last edited: