• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Recovery - Jefferson City MO - 12-13-2009

mistaken1

Okay the EUC took a week to come back. I asked my boss if I could borrow his 20,000# goose neck trailer and truck for the recovery. So on Friday I had two guys and the truck lined up. Things were looking good.

Monday morning my buddy with the rigging experience backed out to attend a political meeting (since I had my boss's son-in-law lined up he figured it would be okay). Then that afternoon Scott (the son-in-law) got sick and puked his guts out. So now I have no help.

The truck and trailer are hooked up and ready to go but there are only two binders and one chain with hooks and one without. So digging around the warehouse produced a third binder and two more chains with hooks. Still not enough.

So now I am calling around at the last minute looking for a binder and more importantly some help. I find the binders and chains without too much trouble but the only help that could go on such short notice was the wife and daughter. Don't get me wrong, it was nice spending the time with them but it is not the same as have two men to help with loading/securing process. I could try to put off the recovery but the rest of the week is scheduled to be very cold.

So I take the truck home Monday night and the wind has picked up and is blowing snow. So I wait until Tuesday morning to pack up the truck. It was 16 degrees Tuesday morning but at least the wind had stopped blowing. Loading the truck by myself took longer than I thought and we headed out a half hour late. The fact that the recovery is on the 13th is starting to weigh on my mind.

We stop for gas right away and for the first of too many potty stops. We have 200 or so miles to go. We stopped at Macon where I discovered a major malfunction. The fly on my overalls was jammed and would not go down! Not as bad as the embarrassing will not go up but still a pain with the thermal layers below the overall.

So we head out of Macon and before we are half way out of town we hear a large explosive sound from the passenger side that makes us all jump. I did not feel any thing in the truck when this happened but at the next place we come to with room to turn the 32' trailer around I stop and check. Everything appears fine. All the tires look and sound good. The truck feels the same. So perhaps it was something else. We get back on the road.

As we approach Jefferson City we need another potty break and I am down to an eight of a tank of gas. We pass through Jefferson City on the way to the National Guard base and stop at a Mc Donalds right off an exit (do not remember the road name). There is a gas station there but the pumps require the vehicle to be perpendicular to the building. There is no way this truck and trailer are going to get out of there if I could even get in there. So we head on to the base where perhaps someone will know of a gas station that we can get in and out of.

We went straight to the lot and followed some HMMWVs in and head to the M1009s lined up. Jeff with the National Guard and Mike with GL get there and we head to the M1009. Jeff fires up the CUCV in the way then fires up our CUCV. The other one in this last auction did not start but I believe it was because of low batteries (all of the M1009s in the group started and ran to get moved into their current location).

Mike and I browsed through the M1009s that will be coming up for auction while our CUCV warmed up. I prepared the trailer and my wife guided me onto it. That was my first experience driving a vehicle up on a trailer. It reminded me of a roller coaster where you are headed up and all you can see in front of you is sky. I was hoping it would not be a roller coaster ride where I come crashing down off the side of the trailer! The CUCV leveled out and I found we were a little off center. A little delicate maneuvering centered the CUCV.

Now for the next hour or so I chained the CUCV down. I wrapped the chains around the spring mounts on the axles taking care not to damage any components like brake lines or steering dampers. Then I used the 2" web straps through the shackles as a second set of tie downs. And finally I blocked diagonally opposite front and back wheels. One tire was low on air.

So getting back in the truck the eighth of a tank of gas problem was looming large. We headed across the lot towards the gate and the dueces that Mike said were all sold when it dawned on me that I had promised Gunwriter I would look at his duece and take some pictures but I failed to bring the information he sent me. Doh! So I have no idea which one is his. It was getting late so I checked the chains and headed out knowing that I would have to let Gunwriter know of my failure to keep my promise.

We headed back to Jefferson City and I was contemplating buying a gas can so I could put gas in it and then transfer it to the truck. We were coming up on the same exit we stopped at on the way in when we noticed that there was a Casey’s General Store the other direction. Those usually have the pumps parallel to the building so perhaps we could get this truck and loaded trailer in and out. The mile to the store was down a steep residential street. The Casey's came in site and we could see a semi trailer and tractor parked in front unloading. If he could do it so could we! We filled the truck. I was able to u-turn and pull in front of the building where the air hose would reach and I filled up the low tire on the CUCV (which tightened up the chains).

Full of fuel and with empty bladders we headed for home. We passed through Jefferson City but were not paying close attention and headed up on 54 instead of getting off on 63. We did not notice this until we were a good ways down the road as we were watching the CUCV to make sure it was staying in place. Well the GPS showed we would hit I-70 and could go back to Columbia to catch 63 putting us only 20 some miles out of our way. We needed another potty break in Columbia then we headed up 63.

Things from there on out were pretty routine. We stopped once more past Macon for gas and a potty break and made it home about dusk.

My wife needed (wanted) to go to bible study so she was in hurry to unload the M1009. I had her climb up on the trailer and cut the duct tape off the chains. She was finishing the back axle as I was lowering the ramps. So she climbed off the trailer, turned and tripped over the just lowered ramp. Thankfully she held the knife way from her body and was not hurt in the fall.

We removed all the back supports (the trailer was on a slight incline sloping down towards the back). We fired up the M1009 and let it warm. I warned her to not pass behind the trailer once we started removing the front attachments. We removed all of the front attachments and drove the CUCV off the trailer without incident.

The wife headed off to bible study and I proceeded to do that morning’s work in reverse. It was again dark and cold and the wind was picking up. All things considered it went rather well.

The M1009 itself. I have not had time to examine it in detail but it appears to be a good one. There is a little cancer in the passenger inner fender well and a spot of cancer on the passenger rear wheel opening. The engine oil is black. The coolant overflow bottle appears new but is empty. The radiator is full and the writing on the hood indicates -45 degrees sometime in 2007 (I do not recall the month).

The back window works (at least halfway as that is all I tried), the driver’s window was fine the first time I used it but felt stiff going back up the second time. The driver’s headlight vertical adjustment needs something. There are a few exterior and instrument panel lights out. It has the spare tire, back seat, passenger radio shelf, rifle racks and a sliding back window on the passenger side. The seats are not torn although the dashboard it gray and new.

How does the seat back angle adjust?

The hood also has a light marking on it (going off memory) “mississippi county sheriff 3/4”. I am not sure what that is about. I hope to change the oil and check all the fluids as well as go over the vehicle in more detail this weekend.

So there is my long winded M1009 recovery saga.

M10091.jpg M10092.jpg

Trailer1.jpg Trailer2.jpg Trailer3.jpg

bbbang

Did it appear that there would be more M1009's for sale in the future? Did you see anything else interesting in the bull pen or upcoming for sale? I picked up my M1009 there in December, and the folks there were nice and helpful. Thanks. Chris

mistaken1

As I understood it there was another 40 to 50 M1009's coming up for sale. Most if not all started and ran to move them to their current spot (that does not mean they are up for a long trek).

SDF Troop

Don't know if you're interested, but there are a bunch of M1009's coming up for sale at Redstone Arsenal this month. Check out GL. They're all in running order for the most part. The ones i looked at seemed to be in pretty good shape.

holdog101

i had almost the same trip but with out the cold weather. I think almost everyone who picks up a cucv has some issue or another. Glad you got ur new tk home.​

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks