• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Roadtrip July 2014

BostonPatriot28

In a few weeks I'm taking my truck on roughly a 1,800 mile total round trip to Maine and back. I'm changing all the fluids starting with the transmission fluid which was already done with the rebuilt trandmission. I just changed the rear differential oil what a difference! next is the front differential and change the oil and filter. I use rotella with ac delco filters. Tires are in good shape wipers good (it will rain most likely) All lights work except the license plate light which is going to be ordered soon. I bought two brand new batteries two weeks ago alternators are good as well ( bringing atleast 1 backup) I already did the doghead mod.. is their anything else i'm missing? I will be going through MD PA NY CT stopping in RI then leaving the next morning to Maine. trying to work out all the bugs so I don't have any surprises :driver:pumkpin.jpg2011-08-28_15-11-10_919.jpg2014-02-16_12-40-55_235.jpg1907995_736090886436406_3471204162704328124_n.jpg

Last edited:

Skinny

I'm right off I95 near the ME/NH border. I've got an M1031 full of tools. I will be traveling a few days at a time but I'm also on vacation as well that month. If you run into troubles, always can give you a hand.

Where are you headed in ME?

Last Sunday a passed a grou of Mass Cucks (1009 and 1008) all built up southbound on I95 near Portland. I was in a big crew cab F350 with a TJ Wrangler on a trailer. Always nice to see the MV's out running around!

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since in picture #4 your in deep water / mud, I would pull the rear drums and clean out the insides and repack bearings. I would also do the same to the front hubs along with making sure that the calipers float freely. Check all of your CV joints, ball joints and tie rod ends for play before hitting the road. Nothing worse than a death wobble from loose steering components. I wouldn't want a buildup of mud lodged in the rear drum to break loose and lock up a shoe during the trip either.

I hope this helps give you some ideas.

Bert

BostonPatriot28

Thank you guys for all the helpful posts! I have replaced my rear shoes since my mudding trip, which was incredibley built up inside. As far as my front suspension it's good the only parts I found needing replacement is my shocks front and rear.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
48 views and no one can come up with any tips that I didnt mention? I thought of a few im surprised...
A good credit card- a handful of cash- and a full beer cooler. Not necessarily in that order. Don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy your trip, these are good trucks and I wouldn't hesitate to take mine to California and back. If it breaks down just pull out the plastic and get it fixed. but most of all have a fun trip.

Skinny

Realistically 12v to the injection pump and ATF in the TH400, it will get home!

What is the destination in Portland? Not much four wheeling in that neck of the woods. I highly recommend taking Rt. 1 north starting in NH. It is a great snaky road along the coast. Lots of traffic but great scenery, including the two legged kind. If you have time, I would venture over to the White Mountains in NH, maybe do Mt. Washington.

fitz

I'm originally from the south shore right by the mall and recently moved from Worcester to West Virginia a few years ago

If you mean Braintree, that's where I'm at. Sounds like I might not have the tool collection Skinny has, but hopefully enough to get you back on the road.

BostonPatriot28

I'm originally from the south shore right by the mall and recently moved from Worcester to West Virginia a few years ago

If you mean Braintree, that's where I'm at. Sounds like I might not have the tool collection Skinny has, but hopefully enough to get you back on the road.
Yes Braintree i'm taking I-68 I-70E I-81N I-84E all the way into RI then the next morning I will be leaving for Maine

BostonPatriot28

The reason why I had an emergency on July 1st was my mother had a severe stroke and was taken to Umass Medical in Worcester, MA on July 2 2014 my mother passed away please keep her in your prayers with our family. Thank you all