• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 roof weight

gt1009

Ok, so its finally warm enougth to drive around with all the windows down, and I would really like to take the roof off my truck. Unfortunately, my dad believes it weighs 1000 lbs, and won't let me take it off unless I can prove to him that it doesn't weigh that much. Also, am I comprimising the seal between the roof and the truck when I put it back on? If I am, that could probably be solved with some silicone caulk for the winter. Any info is appreciated. I know a coulple of people have done this before, so I don't think it would be too hard if me and one of my friends did it toghether.
Thanks,

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And when you put it back on, just go to Home Defect/lLowes/Ace or another hardware store and get a 1/2 dense foam weatherstrip with a peel away adhesive backing and stick it to the top before you put it down on the truck.

gt1009

And when you put it back on, just go to Home Defect/lLowes/Ace or another hardware store and get a 1/2 dense foam weatherstrip with a peel away adhesive backing and stick it to the top before you put it down on the truck.
I was thinking the same kind of idea... and for me it will be my new favorite store farm and fleet
Thanks!

mangus580

Takes 2 guys to lift off... no big deal. When you go to put it back on, just take the time to clean the gaskets, and all is well. I have had mine off a couple of times now, and have had no trouble. These caps were designed to go on and off as much as you desire. Its a shame that Sklyer stopped making the soft tops like mine for them. Maybe we can convince one of the canvas places to buy the rights and start making them out of real canvas!

gt1009

Ok, then what is the best way to actually get it off the truck, just lift it and walk it straight back, or turn it sideways, or other? I also agree on the softop idea.

IRWFO

I would use 3 guys. 1 inside with the other 2 standing one on each side. After you lift up just walk it right off to the back. Don't forget the hidden bolts in the back.

AJMBLAZER

There is at least one place that makes soft tops for them still. Last month's 4-Wheel & Off-Road featured a new kit for the K5's. Also check the for sale forums on www.ColoradoK5.com and eBay as I've seen the older ones pop up on both.

DEFINATELY make sure you have all of the bolts undone...we busted a friend's top accidentally because of the "hidden" bolts. aua

1000-lbs...wow...the whole truck only weighs 4500-lbs if it's feeling fat...

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: m1009 roof weight

mangus580 said:
Ummm think again on the total weight of a 1009... ;-) try more like 5500
http://www.coloradok5.com/specs.shtml

Even with the 300-400lbs heavier diesel a diesel K5 doesn't weigh that much unless it's loaded pretty good.

My '92 Blazer K1500 with the beefier frame, more body, heavier, more complicated front suspension/axle, and bigger tires weighed less than 5500lbs with myself, a full tank of gas, and my usual assortment of junk in it.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: m1009 roof weight

Dont forget the radio trays, and all the skid plates, etc that a 1009 has that a civvy doesnt. The military lists them at 5500.

papercu

weight

From the -10 M1009 Curb weight 5200 lb

If you have the room in the garage for the top think 2x4, eyebolts and rope. Wayne

AJMBLAZER

RE: weight

Somebody needs to weigh a M1009. I've seen dressed out K5's with 1 tons, big tires, big bumpers, and all kinds of trail gear barely touch 6000lbs.

My friend used a conveniently placed tree branch to take his off when he couldn't get help. The trouble was it was apparently a PITA to lower the top to the ground when he was by himself.

ida34

I had a ramcharger with a metal full roof. I still took it off by myself by backing up to a retaining wall and getting into the bed. I pushed up on the top with my back and walked off the back of the truck.

BKinzey

Yep, it's fiberglass, not metal :D :D I got mine off by myself but it's really cumbersome. Using some form of lift and a couple of straps is the way to go for one person :)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I used to take mine off by myself all the time. I would back up to a hillside that was level with the tailgate when down. Then, squat down and lift it up on your back and shoulders. Walk it out the back of the truck and squat it down onto some wood or cinder blocks. I am 6'3" 235lbs so some of you little fellers may have trouble with this plan. ;) Don't yell at me if you blow out your o-ring. It is MUCH easier with a friend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks