• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rusted front roof corner

lavarok

Great job. Glad the corner piece worked out for you.
I just wish I had taken some photos of it for this thread! It was some work to separate the outer skin, but well worth it!

My Saturday was productive, just not with vehicles...I had to change out my pool pump! Here is a pic of the new pump working hard.

Attachments

forest522

Just came across this thread as I am a new M1009 owner. Close inspection found the same rust spot - top passenger side and one more quarter sized hole down near the hood :(

Anyone have a cab section they are willing to part out?

I figure the quarter sized hole can be patched, its the top I'm worried about.

Thanks!

Smokingman

I agree about not using silicone as a sealer as it does attract water.I did water proofing for a living for roughly 15 years. The best caulk (I have used or seen in actual applications)for anything with any movement is Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

It has crushed limestone as the base ingredient with polyurethane as the binder.It easily will last 10+ years in full weather even with movement due to temperature and weathering.

Hope this helps,and I guess i should go run some down my rails :)

forest522

Interesting, crushed limestone. That should last. I will attempt to add some photos soon regarding the rust spots around my windshield soon. But first the question that is making me lose sleep:

A local shop guy stated that he thinks the best way to solve the rust issue on the passenger side A pillar is to just replace the whole cab. Go out, find a like year Blazer, CUCV or not, and remove my entire cab (back to the rear fenders) and plop to 'new one' in.

First off, the floor pans in my 1009 are in solid shape. Much of the cab is in good shape. Yes the right the rear quarters have the usual rust in the lower ends but good grief, the entire cab?!@ :shock:

To those auto body Jedi's out there - would a replacement pillar piece, well two - top and bottom - around the front passenger A pillar cause a weak spot in the cab? Or will a good solid weld job to fix these spots be ok?

Wow, just typing this is therapeutic...

forest522

Here we go. The first is the bottom issue, the second was located after purchase (how did I miss the dang bubbles!). Oh well. I venture to guess the top spot is about as big as Lavarok's. Neither hole goes all the way through the pillar.

Attachments