• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 s9000 superwinch install.

HOWEY

Wanted a winch for ages, good buddy of mine gave me a dead s9000 winch for free:-D so i took it on myself to rebuild it and give it a nice new home on the front of my chevy.
After stripping it down all that was wrong with it was a burnt out 24v motor, so with a new motor installed i repacked it with hp greese and also added a new winch cable.
After searching the site for winch mount pics i decided on the brush guard mount rather then the hidden away look cos it looks "bad ass":twisted: Also added 12 and 24volt anderson connectors so i can jump start anything.
Hopefully the following pics speak for themselves

Attachments

wikallen

Looks sweet, but I would tie that mount into the D ring tubes at the frame. Hate to see you turn that brush guard and winch into a missile when if you really have to pull on it hard.

Cucvnut

I think your gonna end up pulling that thing off the truckand frame with a set up like that.
It sits higher than the frame that will create a piviot point.

HOWEY

I think your gonna end up pulling that thing off the truckand frame with a set up like that.It sits higher than the frame that will create a piviot point.

This set up is pretty well tied down troops trust me[thumbzup]
In fairness its on the truck for more show than go, but having said that im no fool and do understand the laws of physics, im an engineer by trade and work with heavy plant daily so id like to think i have a good mechanical eye and ear.
I promise not to extract german tanks from bogs and the like..;-)

HOWEY

The winch mounted there looks really nice. Im installing a winch on mine in the same spot but slightly diffrently. Nice work!
Thanks for the praise, i forgot to add that i had to move the second crossbar above the winch up about an inch or so and added in a few more "teeth" just for a different look, also bought a rubber protector for my 12v connector...
Last thing is i installed is a wireless transmitter whose range exceeds the length of the rope, its a good piece of kit...

Attachments

wkbrdngsnw

Looks reasonable but its blocking a fair amount of grill area. Do you have an actual temp gauge? I'd be curious to see if its going to run hotter.

HOWEY

Temp gauge...

Looks reasonable but its blocking a fair amount of grill area. Do you have an actual temp gauge? I'd be curious to see if its going to run hotter.

I,ve thought that myself and towed with it also and all seems well, but just to be cautious i will stick a temp gauge on it cos i like to know what goes on under the hood ,Id say just beside the voltmeter looks like a good spot.
Strange that the military deleted the temp gauges on these trucks, how many drivers blew a gasket before they noticed the overheat light? I myself would be lost without a temp gauge on the old cat plant i operate on.......

Last question... should the gauge be mechanical or electrical??
Thanks all...

wkbrdngsnw

should the gauge be mechanical or electrical??
Personal preference, Electric aftermarket are usually more accurate, Mechanical are substantially cheaper and need a mechanical tube ran to the engine that can get bent or damaged and are usually less accurate. Usually either is accurate enough since unless its a digital readout your reading in-between lines anyway. Its just there to give an "idea" when there is a problem.

Its a definitely a good idea to have one. Mine had a clogged radiator and would run 220 degrees on steep hills. While not quite dangerous with the light there is no indication there's a problem. Based on the quality of my low coolant sensor it would be surprising if the stock temp light would come on at all if it got to 240.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks