• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Seat replacements

KTP415

I was wondering if anyone has changed out the seats on a m1009 . I have a 96 2 door Tahoe and I am thinking of using those two front seats. Any advice?

AceHigh

I kept the seat mount and put Crown Vic buckets in the front only. The only limitation is they do not fold over but that is not my problem, I don't plan to ride back there anyway.

Big comfort difference.

pmramsey

I am working on a set of these for my M1009 to match the ones here in the M1028. They are far more comfortable and especially so on longer trips. I am considering these as back seats as well...perhaps even three across.

Attachments

Last edited:

dirtroadoutlaw

Advice: Mount them more securely than the factory did. The floors pans in blazers are notorious for cracking around the seat mounting points because they're too weak. When you do the seat swap, dont rush. Take the extra time to beef up your mounting.

Personally, I wouldn't use cloth but that depends on what you're doing with your rig. Cloth seats get soiled way down deep into the cushion with dirt & mud, etc. I don't know which fabric that you have on your seats but that's just my .02..... Here's what I did to mine when I put the '04 HD seats in. I made risers from 2"x 3" 10ga tubing then omitted some of the factory mounting stuff from the slides & bolted the slides directly through the tubing & floor with a nice FAT bead of black polyurethane adhesive between tubing & floor for added strength & ridgidity.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/dirtroadoutlaw/2012-06-10090009.jpg

That enabled me to achieve a height about .5" higher than stock which I like.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/dirtroadoutlaw/2012-06-10090023.jpg

Then I got the rear seat re-covered to match and added some arm rests from a burb.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/dirtroadoutlaw/2012-06-10090046.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirtroad thanks for your post. But you really need to load your pictures directly to this website. We encourage people to post them here because when posting links, the links can break and then your post is not as effective.

K9Vic

I kept the seat mount and put Crown Vic buckets in the front only. The only limitation is they do not fold over but that is not my problem, I don't plan to ride back there anyway.

Big comfort difference.
How did you do that, I had a set of bucket seats from a 03+ Crown Vic and I could not see how to adapt the CUCV brackets to the CV seats. Seemed that I had to make some major mods to get it to work, but I did not spend allot of time looking as I later got a set of K5 buckets from a 76 that worked out better.

I still have those CV seats, so I could use them in the future.

Warren Lovell

I used the Chevy Express Van seats for my M1009. I used the CUCV seat mount and slightly modified the seat mount on the bottom rails of the seat. The Chevy seat mount is too low to use. If you have fat legs, you might want to go with a slightly smaller steering wheel as the seat to steering wheel clearance is less. I don't have fat legs so this works for me. Also a good gauge for dating. Just have your new woman sit in your driver seat. If she passes through the M1009 micrometer - you're good to go.

Try to find someone in your area that does van conversions. My seats were brand new take-outs at $50 each. Found him on Craigslist.

AceHigh

How did you do that, I had a set of bucket seats from a 03+ Crown Vic and I could not see how to adapt the CUCV brackets to the CV seats. Seemed that I had to make some major mods to get it to work, but I did not spend allot of time looking as I later got a set of K5 buckets from a 76 that worked out better.

I still have those CV seats, so I could use them in the future.
There was a lot of sawzall work needed. I had to reduce the height of the M1009 pedistals and cut the excess height off the CV seats. They are comfy though.

stationjj

Good thread.

My concerns and questions are.

If I go to Junk yard I got more seat than I know what too choose from. I am what you consider a newbie. What seats work best in a CUCV? I don't want to buy a seat, and I find out later I got modification issues.

Also has anyone refurbished current seats and how? The seating and the mechanical?
My seats have no sliding action.

Thanks for any advice.

stationjj

forest522

I am having mine redone. I spent a lot of time in a SW junkyard looking for good seats. Lots of possibilities but hard to find a decent set - after all its, a junkyard...what's that stain?

Local guy is adding some foam and recovering them with a good quality vinyl. I saved a little money by removing all the hardware and cleaning them up a bit. Beats dumping a nasty set on his counter and asking how much!

They should be done in a week or so, I'll post pics of them then for ya. I almost bought a pair of Jeep replacement seats but the price was actually less to have the originals recovered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks