• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 shifting issues, need help.

rollcage

Hi, I have a quick qustion about the shifting of my 85 CUCV M1009. I baught a M1009 with no engine and tranny in it that was in alot better shape than mine, I swapped my engine and tranny into it, and ever since, it doesnt downshift correctly. Once it hits 3rd gear, it doesn't downshift, unless I slow way down in speed. Example: when i cruse though town and im dong say 35 miles per hour, and i get onto an on ramp, when I floor it, it wont down shift and get going like it used to. It will just act sluggish and very slowly get up to speed. The engine runs great, so that shouldnt be it. Are there some type of tests that I can do to figure this thing out? Thanks

beanman1

pull the tranny dip stick and check to see if the fluid on the stick has air bubbles in it. If it does that is a sign that the tranny filter fell out of its hole. also check all of the vacume lines they could be dry rotted and the one line that is always missed is about an inch long on the passenger side of the tranny

mikelee

did the vac position switch get moved if so read tech articles on setting and as previous post said check the pickup and filter for loose or cracks pull pickup and check o-ring. sounds more like vac. though

ehuppert

Sounds like the downshift wire didn't get connected to trans, or solenoid/switch by accelerator pedal is bad or mis-adjusted...

Eric

rollcage

Ok, sounds like some good troubleshooting ideas. The one thing we did change was the torque converter. When we first pulled the tranny, a few of the welded nuts were broke, so we went to Advanced auto parts and bought one. It seems to be functioning ok, just the downshifting sucks.

Mudstone

vacuum lines on these trucks is a key check. just pulling and putting back mine and my truck shifts better than ever.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the downshift wire didn't get connected to trans, or solenoid/switch by accelerator pedal is bad or mis-adjusted...

Eric
Ditto on that; my C3500 has TH400 like CUCV's and went thru similar trouble with my beast not shifting up. So I disconnected the single wire on the left (driver's) side of the trans and it shifted UP fine... only now it doesn't like to down shift properly.

This problem is a switch (solenoid) INSIDE your trans oil pan and it very likely needs to be replaced.

ehuppert

Why would you replace a downshift solenoid in the trans first? Trans was installed and it worked prior! So, seeing as how trans is in a different vehicle i would check for power in, and out of the downshift switch on the accelerator pedal FIRST (in conjunction with power wire to side of trans.... ) Switch on pedal may be out of adjustment, disconnected, etc, etc...

Eric

ehuppert

Was just in the TM's for something on mine.... Go to resources and find the 34 series TM. Chapter 2 has trouble shooting, lo and behold, there's a section for trans, to include no downshifts!

Eric

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify....you swapped the engine and tranny from your old M1009 to a newer M1009?

Double check all your connections and vacuum lines. Also check the metal tube from the engine to the tranny to make sure it wasn't smashed during the install.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, sounds like some good troubleshooting ideas. The one thing we did change was the torque converter. When we first pulled the tranny, a few of the welded nuts were broke, so we went to Advanced auto parts and bought one. It seems to be functioning ok, just the downshifting sucks.

What converter did you install as there are a couple of possiblities. Are you sure it is for the TH400 and not the 700?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did get a diesel specific TC? You NEED to use one with 6 bolts to the ring gear(for a diesel). A 3 bolt TC will fail early in a diesel application.